Fresh cut fries for picnics

Pife

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Earl
I'm a backyarder and want to add fresh cut fries to my list of foods that I can offer. I usually cook for friends/family of around 25 people.

Some folks cut the fries from potatoes, do a water soak, then deep fry once at a lower temp and then fry again at a higher temp to serve. That sounds logistically hard for me to do at a picnic site.

I have a two basket, 4 gallon propane fryer.

Does anyone do fresh cut fries outside for a small crowd?

Thanks for the advice!

My understanding it that multiple dunks in the fryer are required for fresh cut fries that aren't soggy and limp. Personally, that sounds like a lot of work - not that barbecue isn't - but I'd just use store bought frozen fries. I have a small single basket fryer and when we make fries at home, that's what I use. Freezer to plate in < 10 minutes and they match anything you'd get at a restaurant.

Last edited:
Some of those grocery store freezer section french fries do a pretty solid fresh-cut impression.
Some taste like they're more corn starch than potato.

I'd buy a few test bags and find one that'd fool my guests :)

My understanding it that multiple dunks in the fryer are required for fresh cut fries that aren't soggy and limp. Personally, that sounds like a lot of work - not that barbecue isn't - but I'd just use store bought frozen fries. I have a small single basket fryer and when we make fries at home, that's what I use. Freezer to plate in < 10 minutes and they match anything you'd get at a restaurant.

I'm with you on using good quality frozen fries, Neal. We really like these:

iu

The Hand Cut fries are the ones we usually get (though we've also been impressed with the super crispy shoestring and puffs). They are fantastic if they are cooked just right!

I enjoy soggy fresh cut fries, doused in malt vinegar and ketchup.
Five Guys fries come to mind. I wonder if they only fry once.

All the Five Guys fries I've seen and eaten are not once cooked, soggy, dark brown, limp, fries like some I've seen and eaten:icon_blush: elsewhere.

If you're not going to cook hand cut fries properly why bother.

I'm a backyarder and want to add fresh cut fries to my list of foods that I can offer. I usually cook for friends/family of around 25 people.

Some folks cut the fries from potatoes, do a water soak, then deep fry once at a lower temp and then fry again at a higher temp to serve. That sounds logistically hard for me to do at a picnic site.

I have a two basket, 4 gallon propane fryer.

Does anyone do fresh cut fries outside for a small crowd?

Thanks for the advice!

No. And that is why they don’t.Too much hassle.Buy some SM frozen frys and be done with it.Oh,thaw them first.

Something to consider is with a fryer that small, recovery time after frozen fries will be much higher. If you are doing decent volume it could end up being a problem.

If you HAVE to do fries, I would prep ahead and not cook from frozen.

-Boil in water with salt & white vinegar added for 10 minutes. Cool and dry

-fry for 1 minute at 360-375 range

-cool and freeze. As I said I wouldn't freeze them in your situation.

Now they are ready to fry. 3.5 minutes at 360 and you have great fries.

At fish fries we often make fried potato chips instead of french fries. We have a manual potato slicer and slice the potatos right into the frier. They fry up quick and stay crispy. We toss them in seasoning salt after they come out of the fryer. It will keep someone busy, but they're really good.

I can't argue with Moose the Idaho brand is really good but, we usually use Walmart brand (hashed browns, steak/regular/crinkle fries and tater tots). Very on par with Idaho and very cheap too. I do get it though about wanting to make your own. A local butcher/processor + store "The Country Smokehouse" by us does weekend cooks and such. They do their fries straight from potato (sweet too) to deep fryer and they are really good. Can't remember if they rinse or not but, all done for everyone to see, made to order.

I've yet to taste a really good fresh cut, once fried french fry. Twice fried home cuts can't be beat but I'd go with crinkle fries from the store.

Thanks for all the advice.

My french fry dream is to be able to do the cutting, soaking and first low temp fry at home the night before. Then somehow package (in an ice chest...no electric) to take with me so I would only have to do a final higher temp fry at the picnic.

Thanks for all the advice.

My french fry dream is to be able to do the cutting, soaking and first low temp fry at home the night before. Then somehow package (in an ice chest...no electric) to take with me so I would only have to do a final higher temp fry at the picnic.

I would definitely give that a try at least once to see if it is feasible.

Some restaurants slice the fries in a french fry cutter into a 5 gallon bucket then cover the fries in water and into the cooler for a 24 hour soak. Fries are then laid out to dry on trays in a cooler. Fries are then blanched in the fryer for about 2 1/2 minutes and then cooled again. Final fry is about 3-4 minutes. Cook longer for more crispy fry.

If you want to skip all of the above, you can buy a fry that has all of the steps done for you except the last step. The brand I used was Simplot Conquest. The price per case was more expensive, but all of the above steps were completed. All you had to do was drop the fries in the basket and 3 1/2 minutes later you had a very nice, delicious and crispy fry. Those french fries turned me into a fry snob.

I sourced them through my food distributor.

Good luck on your quest.

Robert

I've been using store bought frozen fries for a long time.
Either Checkers/Rally's or Arby's curly fries.
I also air fry them... same with Tater Tots.

Ok I walk back my one fry soggy comment. Tonight I made fish and chips. Hand cut fries and homemade beer batter fish. I fried once, salted and fried again. The second fry was absolutely necessary. They were awesome fries but very time consuming and a fair bit of work. Need to get a dedicated fryer set up.

I cut and cook homemade fries and just deep fry them and come out awesome with the right seasoning and much better then frozen fries . With fresh oil mine have never been soggy , lol . :p

I'll just tell you how my Grandmother, Mother and Wife do/did it learning from them. Plain and simple.

Drop a kitchen match into the grease. Heat until the match lights. Peels off the fries and drop them in. Cook till they float. Salt them while hot. Repeat.

Best ever fries for me. Give it a try. Grease will not ignite, just let you know when it's right for frying.

Also good for hot water cornbread, FISH big time & Hush Puppys.

Just my .02 and Good Luck! :thumb:

Back