Flat top cashew chicken

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Since my wok and I have had a rocky start, I decided to use the Blackstone 22” griddle instead. I’ve been buying whole “air chilled” chickens from Costco lately and then breaking them down into pieces, sometimes make a stock from the carcass. I used the breasts and trendies from a chicken I broke down earlier in the week and had been dry brining in a little bit of salt for a couple days.

The recipe I used called for the cubed meat to be marinaded in ginger juice, Mirin, and some corn starch for 20 minutes or so. I skipped the salt since it had been dry brining. Seems that little bit of time in the ginger juice really tenderized it.

Heated some oil and garlic until it became aromatic and then put on the chicken, which I cooked until it was 80-90% done.

Random fridge dive, came up with carrots, celery, onions, and then some peas I bought at the store for this dish.

Once the veggies were cooked some but still crisp, I put the chicken back on and heated everything together for a couple minutes. Also added water chestnuts.

When it was nearly done I added the sauce, which was a mix of hoisin, soy sauce, water, and sugar. Because of the sugar content I didn’t want it to spend too much time on the heat. Next time I might just kill the burners entirely before the sauce goes on, although I didn’t burn it this time, it would’ve been easy to do. Also added cashews now.

Plated on top of a bed of Instant Pot jasmine rice.

Turned out pretty tasty, although the sauce was a little more sweet and salty than what my favorite Chinese joint down the street serves, which I hold as the gold standard. The rest of the recipe was a winner, just need to work on the sauce.

Last edited:
Bro!!!!!

0-AF27164-A362-4-F04-A76-C-30-F0-CB149174.jpg

Back