First Time Butt Smoker w/pron

Megawhatt

Had an interesting first long cook with my Akorn. This would be only the 2nd cook I've ever done with charcoal the first being a hot and fast round of burgers. Saturday night I took the butt out of the fridge and put some mustard on it and some rub. Mustard must of been too runny cause when I flipped it over seemed like all the rub came off when I turned it over again and it seemed really wet. Nevertheless I got it rubbed and wrapped in plastic and put it back in the fridge overnight.

Got up at 6 am to get the grill fired up and an overnight storm was just finishing up so it was 6:30 before I got out to the akorn. Piled the lump in a volcano form and dropped a starter cube in the middle and got it going. Put on the weber rack, pizza pan diffuser, drip pan, and grill rack and closed it up. I planned to cook at about 250 so when i got it there I figured it was stable so i put the meat on. Shortly after temps started dropping and I could tell the fire was out. I then found out its not fun to remove all of the racks and meat to get back to the lump and light it up again. I started it up again and I was worried about the meat sitting out so I put it right back on again while the grill was warming up so I knew it was going to get lots of that initial smoke. Oh well this was my first time so I was prepared to ruin the meat haha.

Was able to keep the temps between 240 to 260 for most of the day. At one point my Maverick (which I watched like a hawk cause I was paranoid) went from 250 to 210 so I freaked out. Grill seemed fine and the temp slowly went back up to 250 so it must of been a communication glitch with the Maverick.

About 9 hours into the cook I was sitting around 175 internal temp and I wanted it done quicker so I raised up to 300 to speed it up. When the temp reached 195 I went out and moved the probe around to different spots. Right on the top of the meat it was kinda tough and was only reading 183 so I closed the lid and let it go some more. Finally when it was ready I took it off wrapped in foil and towels and into a cooler it went. While it was resting I whipped up some macaroni and cheese which I found on the mancavemeals site and put them on the akorn. In the end it all came out awesome and it was the best pulled pork I have ever had in my life. Here are the pics to enjoy.

Right after rubbing is done
20130713_212158.jpg

Wrapped and ready for the fridge
20130713_212838.jpg

Starting out on the Akorn
20130714_065021.jpg

It's finally done!!
20130714_182731.jpg

And beer is gone :sad:
20130714_192959.jpg

Pulled very nice and easy
20130714_194647.jpg

Ready to eat along with the mac n cheese
20130714_195559.jpg

Everyone was happy
20130714_211640.jpg

Butt looks great.

I hate to be a debbie-downer but be really careful giving cooked bones to dogs. They can splinter really easily and then all kinds of bad things can happen.

Back