First Ribs on UDS

bakerk7

Found some matches.
I bought some baby back ribs from Lunds and smoked them on Saturday. This is the first smoke on my UDS after my seasoning fatty.

Temp: 32* F (Minnesota)
Wind: slight breeze
Intakes: 1 ball valve full open, 1 ball valve 3/4 open

Rub: sweet heat rub from the grocery store. I only applied the rub one time before they went on the smoker
Glaze: random recipe I found. Although I liked it, I will try my next one without a glaze.
Method: 2-2-1

Result: Bend test
was right on. The meat was ready to fall off but still attached. Loved that! My brother in law and other family members said it was pretty good. I'm glad because I get nervous the first time I try something new.

Issues: the uds temp was +/- 15 degrees the whole smoke. I was tracking it using a ThermaPro wireless thermometer. Never really stabilized. I may have to use a wind breaker next time.

Action Items:
  • create wind breaker
  • 90* elbow for exhaust 'possibly' help with wind
  • no glaze
  • check and close any leaks
  • install lid clamps

Attachments

• Snapchat-1133394622.jpg
    Snapchat-1133394622.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Snapchat-22162065.jpg
    Snapchat-22162065.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Snapchat-1481890429.jpg
    Snapchat-1481890429.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Snapchat-1808806943.jpg
    Snapchat-1808806943.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 261
Nice cook, and a very 'scientific' approach. I promise, there would be nothing scientific about my eating method- conquer and devour.

Looks very nice.

I would urge you to not worry about minor temp swings (15* certainly falls into the minor category to me). If you didn't have that dang probe in the pit, you would have never noticed the swing...the pit would have simply chugged along and you would have ended up with the same great ribs.

Most pit temps you hear people throw out are averages anyway. Very few pits will dial in on a temp and simply stay there. They swing. It's natural.

Again, I urge you to not focus on pit temps so intently (I do understand it's a new pit...so you have a pass on that fact alone). The cook is much more enjoyable when you give yourself less to worry about.

My dear grandfather and the other older gentlemen around our community didn't even use thermometers. They NEVER knew what temperature they were running. And they didn't care. We all could take a lesson from the veterans at times.

Issues: the uds temp was +/- 15 degrees the whole smoke. I was tracking it using a ThermaPro wireless thermometer. Never really stabilized. I may have to use a wind breaker next time. Were you using lump? Typically lump has higher temp swings than briquettes.

Action Items:
  • create wind breaker A couple bricks stacked to block the wind from blowing into the intake/intakes while you learn your UDS.
  • 90* elbow for exhaust 'possibly' help with wind Rotatable yes or If you have a flat lid, use your chimney starter set over your exhaust on windy days. Again a brick to hold down.
  • no glaze
  • check and close any leaks Most small leaks seal up with use
  • install lid clamps Shouldn't require a clamp unless you have a really bad fit
:clap2:

I bought some baby back ribs from Lunds and smoked them on Saturday. This is the first smoke on my UDS after my seasoning fatty.

Temp: 32* F (Minnesota)
Wind: slight breeze
Intakes: 1 ball valve full open, 1 ball valve 3/4 open

Rub: sweet heat rub from the grocery store. I only applied the rub one time before they went on the smoker
Glaze: random recipe I found. Although I liked it, I will try my next one without a glaze.
Method: 2-2-1

Result: Bend test
was right on. The meat was ready to fall off but still attached. Loved that! My brother in law and other family members said it was pretty good. I'm glad because I get nervous the first time I try something new.

Issues: the uds temp was +/- 15 degrees the whole smoke. I was tracking it using a ThermaPro wireless thermometer. Never really stabilized. I may have to use a wind breaker next time.

Action Items:
  • create wind breaker
  • 90* elbow for exhaust 'possibly' help with wind
  • no glaze
  • check and close any leaks
  • install lid clamps

Plus or minus 15° NO PROBLEM... Difference could mean smoking 20 minutes longer or shorter. NO PROBLEM. (15° Could be a result of the wind)

Back