first fire up costco kamado

saychz316

Well, I have been lurking the forum for some time, and finally joined about a week ago I guess. I did my obligatory first post in Cattle Call, and now this my first "real" post.

Anyhow, I purchased a Costco Vision Grills Kamado this week. Yay!! :clap:

Filler 'er up with lump, filled my chimney about 1/4 way with some more lump, and lit it up as well.

Dumped the lit lump on the pile of unlit lump, waited 5 minutes, and closed the lid. (15:00 this afternoon is when the lid shut) It is holding nicely at 250 right now per the thermometer in the dome. Top vent is barely cracked open, and bottom vent is open to two. It has been steady now for 4 hours and 45 minutes. I also set lousy oven thermometer on the top grate, and it read 250-275 at a couple peeks. I dropped it to the bottom grate, and it jumped to 300. Obviously the thermometer that comes with it, and my grocery store bought overn thermomter are cheesy, but i am seeing a bit of temp difference between top and bottom racks.

I know i need to get a good thermometer set up to monitor air and meat temp, so this friday (payday) I am ordering a Thermoworks kit.

I did put 3 pieces of hickory chunk in there as well, so I could visually see if any smoke leaks from anywhere. There seems to be a bit of a leak from the gasket between the lid and base unit in the right rear corner, closer to the hinge. (this is if you are standing in front of the unit looking at the handle)

I am also planning on ordering the vision "plate setter" for it as well to serve as a smoker. Right now it is just open direct heat inside. So I will test run it again when I get it to see how temps are affected in the cooking area.

Right now I am just playing with the vents in increments to see how she reacts. I must say, I am really astonished at how these ceramic cookers hold heat, and how consistent it is. I can see I am really going to have some really great meals ahead for me and my family and friends.

I am going to do a couple more test fires as well, just to make sure I have a handle on this thing before I cook on it.

Any advice for cooking, temp control, sealing, etc. from you all that have one of these is great. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

-Kevin

Edit:

To add that I am letting it go all night, just to see how long it will go with the amount of lump I put in it. I will report more on my findings tomorrow, or the next.

Stick some grub in there and take pix!

If you throw a few fatties on you won't be in for a lot of $$ and you'll be seasoning your new cooker. :thumb:

As far as advice, I don't have any as I've never used a kamado. I'd like to one day though.

Stick some grub in there and take pix!

If you throw a few fatties on you won't be in for a lot of $$ and you'll be seasoning your new cooker. :thumb:

As far as advice, I don't have any as I've never used a kamado. I'd like to one day though.

ok. next fire up i will. i was just playing with it tonight, to see how it does.

the fattie sounds good, and a couple burgers too. headed to freezer now to take out a whole chicken for tomorrow night. split er in half, season up with some red potato halves, marinated in rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. roast em on top rack.

tomorrow.... :clap2:

Back