First cook with UDS! (Pic) - Also Deflector advice needed

cjomanche

Built my UDS over the weekend and good thing it's called UGLY drum smoker. Had some set backs involving bad drill bits and hole saws.... but it got done. First cook was a tri-tip that turned out great, although a little under-seasoned. The smoker did great though, stable temps... had to adjust the vents very rarely.

I had a question about deflectors. I used a 16" terra cotta saucer on the 2nd row (about 3.5 inches below the top grate)... can I put the saucer directly on top of the charcoal basket I built? Or will this block too much of the smoke and heat? Would I be better off with a pizza pan with holes drilled through them? Just trying to cut down on the amount of direct heat the food gets.

Thanks

Attachments

• image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 111
Holey pizza pan. Be aware that this will increase your charcoal consumption and you won't be able to run at higher temps.
Congrats on your UDS build, they are awesome cookers!

Holey pizza pan. Be aware that this will increase your charcoal consumption and you won't be able to run at higher temps.
Congrats on your UDS build, they are awesome cookers!

I can put the pizza pan directly on top of the charcoal basket? I just don't want to have to buy another $20 dollar grate and mounting hardware.

if my charcoal consumption goes up why can't I run it at higher temperatures with the holey pizza pan? Sorry, I'm new at all this.

Yes, you can put it directly on the basket.
It acts as a sort of heat sink is why you will use more fuel and not be able to reach the higher temps.

I tried aluminum baffles for Old Smokey brand grilles. Had a profound negative effect on the temperature. I've been using a Piedmont pan for nine years in my drum. Keeps the drippings from extinguishing the fire and eliminates the burnt grease taste on food.

I tried the terra cotta saucer, the pizza pan with holes drilled in it... it's like your golf swing, the simpler the better. Bottom line (for me) - they don't add any control or make any measurable difference. The UDS is an incredibly efficient and moist cooker if built correctly. Sounds like you have built a good one, run with it.

Last edited:
Unless you are cooking on multiple grates I wouldn't worry about a diffuser.

Last edited:
I thought it helped even the temp out in mine. I use it strictly as a lower temp cooker though.
And better under seasoned on the meat. You can always add, kinda hard to take away. It gives you a good starting reference.

If I'm smoking 6 or 7 fatties, I'll put a drip pan on my lower grate (I use a deep dish pizza pan), to catch the rendered fats... but other than that I don't use any kind of diffuser in my drums.

Back