First cook in the new Bronco

Looking good Andrew! How did you like the chicken compared to the pbc?

I’d give an edge to the PBC at this point but it was really close. The chicken was very good. However, I think I should have not put the diffuser in the OJB to get a true comparison. Next chicken cook I’m leaving it out. I think that extra flavor you get from the drippings hitting the coals is what does it. Hard to beat PBC chicken!

Last edited:
How do you prep the birds? Brine? Rub? Use any wood chunks? Looks awesome.

Thanks for the question. I haven’t posted a cook here in awhile and I forgot some of the details. :biggrin1:

I cut the chickens in half, dried them and rubbed them with KosmosQs Dirty Bird rub. I did this about 20 min before I put them in the cooker. No brine. In the coal basket I spread the coals to leave the center open and put one small/medium size wood chunk in the center. I then placed 3 smaller chunks buried in the unlit coals. I filled a small chimney about 3/4 full and lit those. Once lit I poured in the center of the unlit coals over the one wood chunk (standard method). Oh the wood was Apple.

Also, that dirty bird rub is similar to Plow Boys Yardbird and is currently my favorite rub for chicken...Sooo good. And KosmosQ is local to me so it’s nice to be able to support a local Q’er. It tastes amazing on roasted broccoli too!

Last edited:
I’d give an edge to the PBC at this point but it was really close. The chicken was very good. However, I think I should have not put the diffuser in the OJB to get a true comparison. Next chicken cook I’m leaving it out. I think that extra flavor you get from the dripping hitting the coals is what does it. Hard to beat PBC chicken!

:thumb: I figured. Different flavor profiles due to the diffuser which was also the case when I cooked in my Hunsaker vs my PBC.

I’m learning. Y’all keep talking. :-D

We learn from you too. Just paying it forward I guess. :grin:

But really I like both flavor profiles. Depending on my mood I either want raw, unfiltered q from the PBC or a subtle, clean q from the Hunsaker. Both are awesome.

Back