First Comp experience

Congrats - it's addicting isn't it :-D

Pack those boxes fuil of meat - it covers any garnish faults and makes the meat look more appealing.

For an example, take a look (below) at the brisket and chicken box we handed in last weekend - they're not perfect by any means but they give you an idea w/re. to what a near full box looks like.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...06834721.67594.184034871647025&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...06834721.67594.184034871647025&type=1&theater

damn those are huge thighs! but those and the brisket looks fantastic! If you don't mind me asking do you brush a sauce on the slices or just an au jus mixture?

damn those are huge thighs! but those and the brisket looks fantastic! If you don't mind me asking do you brush a sauce on the slices or just an au jus mixture?

On that turn-in, I used sauce on top and au jus on the sliced face. I've tried saucing the face on past turn-ins and in my experience, it mutes the finer details of the slice - eg. bark, smoke ring, meat color - which may affect presentation and overall scores. That particular box took 3rd out of 67 teams.

Judges aren't supposed to judge the smoke ring but in my experience having a good smoke ring and a nice mahogany bark contrasted by the natural color of the meat has improved my presentation (and maybe T&T) scores. That said, I also know teams who heavy sauce their slice faces and take first place - so YMMV. If you do sauce the face, I'd recommend you thin the sauce out.

Hope this helps.

On that turn-in, I used sauce on top and au jus on the sliced face. I've tried saucing the face on past turn-ins and in my experience, it mutes the finer details of the slice - eg. bark, smoke ring, meat color - which may affect presentation and overall scores. That particular box took 3rd out of 67 teams.

Judges aren't supposed to judge the smoke ring but in my experience having a good smoke ring and a nice mahogany bark contrasted by the natural color of the meat has improved my presentation (and maybe T&T) scores. That said, I also know teams who heavy sauce their slice faces and take first place - so YMMV. If you do sauce the face, I'd recommend you thin the sauce out.

Hope this helps.

agreed, i think next time i will probably make up an au jus and dip my slices in them. Hopefully that will help my scores!

Back