First Comp Done

Branded BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
We competed in the Hog Wild BBQ contest this weekend in Brookhaven, MS. This was our FIRST professional competition we've ever done. It was a little unnerving at the cooks meeting when asked who was new and my hand was the only one up. Some of the bigger names in our region were there competing as well, but I thought "Oh well. Let's have fun and get this first one out of the way and see how we do." My only goal was to not finish DAL in any category.

I must say that I had no bad experience. The other cooks were more than friendly and welcoming and willing to help in any way. My only problem came with chicken... some pieces were bite through and some weren't and of course you're not sure if the ones going in the box are or not. Otherwise, everything went smooth as we could have hoped for.

As it turned out.... we finished overall 27th out of 33. Got 27 in chicken, 30 in ribs (which I thought were my best, but discovered a good bit of sweet and not much heat), 20th in Brisket, and 13th in Pork.

I'm happy with results of first comp... and we learned a lot to take with us to the next. Thought I'd share with the Brethren because I learned so much through you guys!!!

Depending on your location in MS. I hear the Fulton, MS contest is a good one (haven't competed there myself yet).

Also the Hernando contest in my neck of the woods is good as well.

If your in south ms the closest one might be columbus or a LA or AL contest.

Great to hear your first contest went well! Just wait until your first call. You will really be hooked then!

Back