First Brisket Done Right

Bperkins01

Full Fledged Farker
All,

After many tries (ok - less than 10 briskets) I finally have one that I'm proud of.. I think I'm getting it..

Over the past few months I got lucky and had the opportunity to have truly great brisket at Franklin's and Smoque in Chicago.. Finally something to aspire to. (say what you want about the wait and hype at Franklin's - best I've ever had. They work hard at consistency - you can tell)

This cook started with a 15Lb brisket from Restaurant Depot. It was their Certified Angus Choice.. I picked through them all and found one with pretty good marbling in the flat... I actually felt like I new what I was looking for!

Fast forward.. it spent 9 hours at ~275.

For anyone else that is looking for that sound bite that makes sense to them.... I watched the brisket temps with a probe, but also watched it..
You can see the fat rendering out.. little bubbles on the surface basting, squirting and sizzling away.. It reminds me of frying...

That said - it is how I tell things are going well.. Just as they started to subside.. I thought I'm either done or very close to it.. The guys who are really good can tell when they are done by feeling them... So I picked it up and gave it a jiggle.. It still felt a little "rubbery" like there was more rendering to go... So I let it sizzle away a while longer...

I tried again in 20 minutes, jiggled, probed and decided to call it done. Really I was trying to get the "feel" everyone talks about..

The result.. Best brisket (by a lot) that I've ever made..

ry%3D400

A slice from the point and view of the flat.

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

A couple year+ ago - on a visit through Napa Valley - this bottle was earmarked for the first "Perfect Brisket".. It tastes great - but not as good as the BBQ.

ry%3D400

A good day!

"Brisket is a journey. You'll know when you get there."

Looks like you're there.

Nice looking piece of meat. That what my briskets look like when they come off the pit.

Good looking brisket. Now hopefully you can repeat it on the next brisket.

Thanks everyone!
I'm still full from last night.
I hope I can repeat it too - just happy I finally made a good one.. The wife normally does not like brisket.. She really liked this one a lot.
So - to everyone still learning - it can be done!

Looks great thanks for sharing, was a nice day here in Mass yesterday for a brisket smoke. I smoked some beef ribs myself from Restaurant Depot.

It was great weather - finally had a whole day available and nice temps outdoors.. Can't complain - I mean - Its only March!

Back