First brisket cook on WSM, advice please

B-More BBQ Junkie

Full Fledged Farker
I wanted to get some input/advice/suggestions on my first ever brikset on my brand new shiny 22.5" WSM.

Here is my log: June 14th, 2014 (First use on brand new WSM 22.5")
7.5 Brisket Flat, trimmed much of the fat, PB Bovine Bold for 12 hours prior covered in fridge.
Ambient temp was 70-85 degrees, winds 5-10 mph, gusts up to about 15 mph.
1 full chimney of unlit KB around the outside of the coal ring, dumped another full chimney of lit coals in the
center. Chunks of hickory and chips of pecan on top of the unlit coals.
filled water pan with luke warm water about an inch from the top
Top vent 7/8 open, bottom vents open 1/4.

*All temps below are from the lid thermometer in fahrenheit unless otherwise noted.
9:00 - 265* (put brisket on)
10:30 - 255* (agitated coals), prob uneccesary in hind sight
12:30 - 220* (most coals are >80% burned, added ~12 unlit briquets, handful of pecan, 6 more hickory chunks)
2:30 - 210* (added full lit chimney, temp spiked to 320*, closed bottom dampers completely, top closed 1/2 till
temp came down to 250* about 20 mins later, then returned vents to original positions)
5:30 - 250* (internal temp read ~190*, foiled and put back on smoker)
6:30 - 245* (internal temp 195*-200*, pulled and let rest 20 mins then sliced.

Taste was fantastic, it was about 80% as tender as I think it should have been, it had a nice 1/4" ring, and the
very center was slightly dry.

My two chief concerns are that I had to add charcoal midway through the cook, and the very center of the brisket
was slightly dry. Should I have started with two unlit chimneys, then added a third full lit chimney? Filled the
ring completely with unlit, then added a half lit chimney to the center? Done a 4x4 semi-circular ring of unlit,
then add a half chimney of lit to one of the ends? How much of a factor do you think the wind was? Should I have
foiled a couple hours sooner to prevent the middle from starting to dry out? Thanks Brethren!

Here is the initial charcoal setup:

Here's a couple pics of the brisket right when I sliced it:

That is some really great looking brisket, especially for your first time. The middle being dry is due to it being undercooked. You said it was 80% as tender as you though it should be. That extra 20% probably would have insured that the middle was cooked through and juicy. If you overcook, the outside is the first to dry out, not the inside. Just remember, if it is dry and slices cleanly, it is undercooked. If it is dry and crumbles when you slice it, it is overcooked.

Don't be stingey with the charcoal fill it up smash it down add more then dump the hot on top. Don't rely on temp trust the probe the only spot on any brisket that needs to probe tender is the thickest spot on on the flat. Get that right ur Good Ta Go!

My two chief concerns are that I had to add charcoal midway through the cook

You didn't start with enough charcoal. Fill the ring and leave a depression in the middle and add your lit charcoal into the depression. For a 22.5" WSM 1/2 of a Weber chimney is plenty to get it going.

Your initial charcoal load was not enough. For a 9.5 hour cook you need close to 18lbs or so of charcoal. I always load my 22" wsm with 20lb (whole 20lb bag will fit) and it will burn for 12-14hours before refueling. The WSM burns through alot of fuel due to thin metal walls and keeping the water heated.

I recommend the minion method of lighting, where you just light the center with about 1/4 chimney of coals. I use a coffee can in the center with lit coals and pull it out when they are ready. Also recommend the top vent stay wide open, and control temps with the bottom vents only.

As for doneness, you are almost there. Brisket is done when the thickest past of the flat probes tender. When to wrap is up to you and your preference on bark and color. I start probing for tenderness at 195, and sometimes cook to over 205 internal temp. Then pull it off and rest wrapped for atleast an hour before slicing.

Sounds like you have it figured out. So I will just add that the photos of the brisket look amazing. If you get the tenderness on par with the looks you'll be doin great.

I have an 18.5" WSM but this should apply to the 22". I put 4 to 5(for a bigger piece of meat) fist size chunks of wood into an empty ring then pack it to the top of the ring with unlit. I then take charcoal from the ring and fill my chimney about 3/4's and light it. Once its ready dump it back on the unlit evenly. Works for me.

1. That WSM is too clean. Congrats on joining the club and get some more stuff to throw on her.

2. I fill up my charcoal basket before every use. Next time I use it, I shake out my basket, brush the older charcoal to the outside, fill with fresh, and light the center with my flame thrower. To see my charcoal basket mod, look here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2909129&postcount=15

3. That brisket looks great for the first attempt on any pit.

Back