Fellow Brother to the Rescue(Long sorry)

Mutha Chicken BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Guy's,

Thought I would share my story of the Christmas spirit and a fellow Breatheren who came to the rescue.I was asked to do a Chicken cook for 500!:shock: It was a fund raiser for a man who is battling cancer.

http://www.delawarewoman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/SPORTS13/712200343/1034/SPORTS

All of the chicken was donated. Well the plan was to start cooking by noon. And the story is as follows.

First off, I was told we could get into the hall by noon.
I arrived at 11:00 so I could be set up and ready to help the Troops get organized.

Well around 12:30 we had 15 or so people standing outside with no key to get in.
icon_sad.gif
No chicken and no plan!

About 12:45 we had a key and Frozen chicken on site!!!!!

Started the smoker up. And attacked it the best we could. We had 330 pieces to cook for about 180.

Needless to say we got all feed but were still cooking frozen chicken after the desserts were gone. Ended up throwing away the last 20 pieces and leaving all the rest for the helpers to divi up.

The frozen chicken took about 45-50 mins a batch and we could only get between 60-66 pieces on at a time.

Everone was pleased witht he food-Had 2 say it was undercooked. And returned their plate, They were educated on the Smoke ring and the fact that it was frozen from the start So it left a pinkish color on the meat. But told them of the "Napkin test"

Couple of praises for the Meat_ as we did Head country and an apple BBQ sauce. Most had never had the combination before.

I also need to give a Big Shout out to the 2 guys who came down to help me on this for free, And took the whole day out of there time to do so....

Thank You--
Chris Knight ( The other Half of Mutha Chicken BBQ)
Jon Sibol -- Widespread Pork BBQ Team

So After being dissapointed about the Cook in general, I recieve 2 E-Mails that read as follows.

From The organizer:hi Dan

Wanted to thank you and your team again for your excellent cooking and contribution to the special evening we had last night. It was a incredible success and with your heartfelt effort and that of others we experienced the Christmas spirit at its best. thanks again, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

"Last night I had the pleasure to experience the true meaning of Christmas. Love, Giving and God.
As many of you know I was overseeing a committee that had a fundraising dinner for the Kavelak family to offset expenses due to cancer treatments in Arkansas with a team of nearly 40 volunteers including our own Chef Dan McGrath and a dinner with nearly 230 people. We were able to present the Kavelak family with a check for $15,000 dollars. Praise God.......next to our holidays spent in Haiti, this was another of the most wonderful Christmas season experience's that my family and I will hold close forever. "

From the Wife of the Man we helped:

"There are truly no words that could adequately express our gratitude for the efforts of so many who were involved in the Time4Tim Benefit last night. When we woke up this morning, the enormity of what took place last night was completely overwhelming and heartwarming. We have asked ourselves over the past few months, when we heard about the benefit, if we deserved such an honor, and as I sit here today, I still am not sure. What I do know and what was confirmed to all of us, was the unbelievable kindness and generosity of the human spirit. I believe that in the darkness of our situation, something so pure and good was created. To say thank you seems so understated...what words could we possibly say that could express how touched we are, how honored we are, how fortunate we are and most important of all...how truly blessed we are. You have relieved a financial burden for our family, but more important, you have replenished the human spirit with your kindness, compassion, unending generosity and love. You found a way to bring to the forefront the true meaning of Christmas. Everyone in that room last night saw it and felt it. Know that our hearts are full and you are the reason.

For the committee who worked diligently to pull this event together, please enjoy your holiday. Sit back, relax and take it all in. You deserve it.

And even though thank you seems inadeqate..."Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!"

Happy Holidays!"

Again A Big thank you To Jon from Widespread Pork BBQ :eusa_clap

Brothers at work for the good of others!!!! Man I love this place!!!

Thank you for all of the hard work that creates a warm spot in our hearts when we read things like this.

Thanks guy's- But the Kuddo's go to Jon.

The Napkin test- If a piece of chicken appears under cooked, Place a white napkin to the bone and surounding meat. If the napkin draws red or pnkish color. The Chicken is under cooked. If it draws clear the meat it properly cooked.8)

When someone is down and their hearts are empty except for the pain and hurt, it is a wonderful person or group that steps forward to replace the cold feelings of sorrow and doubt with that of the warmth of friendship and caring.

I know this from personal experience. This place and the Bretheren here have done the same for me during my past year.

Congratulations to you and your friends for doing this wonderful thing for someone in need. While being paid for work performed is anticpated and often expected, money cannot do for one's hurting heart and trampled-on spirit what your generosity has done for this family and the kind words and expressions of thanks by those who were on the receiving end of your work can fill a place that dollar bills can't even get to: the Heart.

Your job wasn't easy and you were met with obstacles that you overcame. Now, think of the one suffering from this disease and his family. Talk about obstacles and challenges! I believe everything happens for a reason and your task along with the roadblocks will make you a better person as well as more understanding when this time comes around again.

You will be blessed for all of this and others should learn that activities like this should be paid forward anytime we get the chance. Life is short and the good that we are able to do NOW is the LEGACY we will leave behind for others to model.

-Gup

Last edited:
Sounds like a great event... Usually, we get more upset with the results than anyone else would... I'm sure they were all thrilled.

Congrats on a job well done, no better feeling than helping those in need. BBQ folks are the best around.

Back