FEC 100 with IQ 5 Control - Excessive Temp Swings

SmokeHouse Blues

Full Fledged Farker
I bought a barely used FEC 100 with the IQ 5 control from a cooker that was getting out of competition BBQ. It has issues of continuous massive temp swings during a Cook cycle. The temp swings range from 60 degrees when programmed at 180 degrees on Smoke Cycle to 70 to 130 degrees when programmed at 225 or 250 degrees on Cook Cycle. I've tried everything I know to correct the problem. I've been working with Cook Shack on it for a while. I've checked the auger pin, cleaned out everything (plenum, auger tube, pellet shoot, hopper, fire pot, fan area, etc). I've even changed out the control board and internal temp probe, but it hasn't corrected the problem. I've checked for air flow and draft problems too. I own 3 other FEC cookers (2 FEC 100's & a FEC 120) all with the IQ 4 control and I don't have this issues with them.

Let me state that Tony and Bill at Cook Shack are top notch and I appreciate and respect them. They provide first class technical service. However, I'm told that these swings are normal and that I should only be concerned with averages. I wouldn't be concerned if the temp swings were 20 or 30 degrees, but IMO these are excessive. I'm also told that my FEC 100's with the IQ 4 and this FEC 100 with the IQ 5 should maintain temps about the same, but that's not what I'm seeing in numerous tests. I use BBQr's Delight pellets.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I had very similiar issues with my IQ4 FEC In the end it turned out to be the fan relay. I had jumped it previously per Tony's suggestion but that troubleshooting didnt confirm much. The fan wasnt always kicking in to high at the right time causing extreme swings. Has been running perfect for over a year now with the new relay. I bought the replacement relay locally to avoid the shipping and duty charges shipping to Vancouver.

My FEC-100 (IQ-5) has temperature swings when I go over 350 degrees. It may register 350, but it's actually at 400 degrees or higher.

Below 350 degrees I'm dead on. They sent me a new temperature probe which I have yet to install because I never use it over 350 degrees.

Sorry to hear your problems!

I bought a new FEC100 after Thanksgiving and had the exact same problem. When set at 180 the temp would swing from 138 to 330. It was basically a 15 minute cycle. On two occasions I had it set at 270 and it shut itself down for getting too hot.

Worked with Bill @Cookshack for almost 2 months trying to fix it. They sent me a new control board and relay board, but that didn't change anything. They finally shipped me a replacement smoker a few weeks ago. This one runs completely different. It slowly gets up to temp and then holds pretty consistently (and this is while completely empty). As frustrating as it was, the folks at Cookshack were so great to work with on this.

Bill and Tony are great to work with. The problems you were having sounds like the problems I'm having. Did they happen to tell you if they found out what was causing the problem with the other one? How does your new smoker do when actually doing a cook? Yes, It is VERY frustrating to have this problem, especially since my other three FEC's work great. I'm glad you got things straightened out.

My 120 with the iq4 was having a temp issue and jumping around. Working with bill I found that where the thermostat enters the cooker, it had rubbed the insulation off the thermo wire and was making contact with the stainless. Some electrical tape and that issue went away and the temps were more consistent.

I have a 240 with the IQ5 and I am loving that cooker. No real big swings like you are experiencing, but the smoke profile and color are great.

I am a big fan of cookshack products, as we currently own a FEC 100, FEC 120, FEC 240 and FEC 500 and not to be left out a PG 500 grill. While thing have not always been perfect, the guys (Mostly Bill Vice for me) at cookshack have been great in solving any issues.

I hope you get it sorted out.

I haven't heard back from them since I shipped the other one back. I'm going to email them and see if they figured it out for curiosity sake.

I am going to load it up this weekend with a bunch of brisket and pork. Have only had a couple small things on there so far. I'll let you know how she works this weekend! Been hesitant to spend too much $$ on meat to load it up, but after a few dry runs she seems to be much more regulated than the previous one.

Back