Farkin Hockey Puc Burgers!

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I just cannot win! I've posted about this before! Using 80/20 fresh ground beef. Did some today thinking I had it nailed to get a flat farking burger. Had 2lb of ground. The wife made the patties. Using the advice from previous post, did the following:

6 patties out of 2lb O' beef.
Nice and thick but spread out nicely.
Dimple in the middle of each Pattie.
Cook them over coal HOT. Lid threm on the OTG showed 425*F.

Added Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow and some K-Salt to the mixture while patties being formed.

The Wife brought big buns. We were chasing the meat around the bun!

I can do a decent Brisket and Butt and Ribs! Why do burgers kick my AZZ?

Thanks for any and all input.

Sign me Frustrated in Shreveport! :tsk:

On edit They were delishish!

Last edited:
I'd (personally) back off on the heat until you figure it out. I'd go closer to 350 and flip when you see it sweat blood on the top. After you flip, cook for about another 3 minutes, move to cool side, cheese, and serve.

Cooked burgers tonight, cooked them on the gasser as hot as it will go, seasoned with Carne Crosta, 4 min each side threw on some cheddar slices the last 2min and BAM! Perfect cheese burgers.

6 burgers out of 2lbs is a bit on the small side IMO. I do 6oz burgers for kids and light eaters and 8oz burgers for everyone else. A 5.X oz burger at 425* is gonna cook lickety split. The biggest improvement in my burger game was grinding my own beef though.

I would agree on the 6oz minimum, for a good patty, unless you are doing thin burgers. I normally go high heat for 3 to 4 minutes a side. Keep your patties chilled good, before adding to the grill. You want the fat as cold as possible, so it won't melt as quickly. That generally gives you a good med rare burger. If you like your burgers well done, try blooming a tablespoon of gelatin, in 1/4 cup of beef stock, then mix that into your meat. That will keep the burger from drying out. Best advice I can give, is follow Sako's burger cooks, and take a lot of notes.

I've been doing a lot of smash burgers on the Blackstone but my son requested grilled. My wife obsesses over things being "done enough" (which, when buying ground beef may not be that unreasonable) so I tried reverse searing them. It worked really well. Took them low indirect up to close to 140* then seared them about a minute a side. I got thick juicy burgers and didn't have to hear about them not being done in the middle. Will try again.

I’ve learned that if you over work the meat with your hands the burger gets dense like a hockey puck. I bought fresh burger patties from Costco for daughter’s bday party. Costco just grinds the meat and shoots the patties out with a hole in the middle like a donut. I just hit the tops and bottoms with kosher salt and grilled them to perfectly. The burgers were ridiculously good. Everybody was raving about them even the 3 year olds. They key on the texture was to not work the meat.

I’ve learned that if you over work the meat with your hands the burger gets dense like a hockey puck. I bought fresh burger patties from Costco for daughter’s bday party. Costco just grinds the meat and shoots the patties out with a hole in the middle like a donut. I just hit the tops and bottoms with kosher salt and grilled them to perfectly. The burgers were ridiculously good. Everybody was raving about them even the 3 year olds. They key on the texture was to not work the meat.

This is a good point as well.

Also prevents blindness.

I agree. Don’t over work your meat. I just lightly ball it up and smash it on a hot CI griddle on the Weber. Salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes. Flip it cheese it and take it off when the cheese is melted. Comes out great every time.

I agree. Don’t over work your meat. I just lightly ball it up and smash it on a hot CI griddle on the Weber. Salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes. Flip it cheese it and take it off when the cheese is melted. Comes out great every time.

Mike,

I'll second Aerotech. Overworking the meat causes the patty to "bloat"

Some great info folks! Thanks to All!

I'm still learning the Weber Kettle OTG. It was HOT! about 425*F. LuzziAnn was working the meat so I can see how it might have been over handled.

Take aways:
1. Reduce heat to approx. 350*.
2. Do not over work the meat.
3. Bigger patties.

Thanks again! :thumb:

I don't know about cooking at 350, I cook them just like I do a steak (same temps) and they always come out great, 350 is too low imo.

I like to buy 80/20 on sale so i buy in bulk. A usually make a lot of patties and freeze them between wax paper. I just throw mine on the grill frozen and flip after 2-3 min. They never shrink into a ball. I usually use the sticking check method, when the patty is no longer holding onto the grates its ready to flip.

I agree. Do not compress the beef too much. It will make them tough.

Back