THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
So this little story starts like this. I moved near Folsom CA in September and have been smoking and grilling as much as always, but not with my offset as it's in another location right now. And I have been wanting to try some new things because I have just been doing the usual on the Weber and I miss my stick burner. So if can't change the cooker I might as well change the flavor. Not sure why I went through all that explanation other than this place is therapy. Bottom line is that John (SirPorkaLot) and his bride have a Shop not far from where I live. So yesterday I stopped by and bought a bag of Q-Salt (i know I'm late to the party) And she tossed in some Hot Salt to try as well. So tonight I'm gonna try Q-Salt on Tri-Tip.

My local supplier of lump was out of stock and as I was walking through Costco getting beef and shrimp I saw that Kingsford Pro Comp briqs were on sale. I have never tried them before but being out of lump and a good price I have decided to give them a try. I pretty much gave up on anything but lump and sticks. I have not use briquets in over 8 years. But here goes.

XvDSUTql.jpg

QWkRNgcl.jpg

QVw7xXyl.jpg

Ok, all wrapped up. Well I added just a pinch of the Hot Salt to the shrimp and loved it. And verdict on the Q-Salt on Tri-Tip is a major win! John, thanks for putting out a great product.

The Tri-Tip was cooked indirect in the 22" kettle with hickory chunks and a first for me Kingsford Pro Comp briqs. All in all I would never trade my use of lump for them, but a far superior flavor, or lack there of, over the regular KBB which I don't like at all. Very much a successful test cook. I will have Q-Salt in the regular rotation. And I will use the rest of the Kingsford or sure, and would not hesitate to use it for large burger cooks or quick steaks. Served up with shrimp from the cast iron sauteed with white wine, garlic, butter, salt and a little Hot Salt. Side of mashers and my cousin cooked up some mushrooms with butter and merlot.

Kvr8TqGl.jpg

7FA32GUl.jpg

enY3BhQl.jpg

kW0R37wl.jpg

mQvCGcjl.jpg

zPGwu9Fl.jpg

OZ0S5Hzl.jpg

jRnQuCNl.jpg

Back