Experiment: Adding Apple Flavor to Ribs

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Tried something new today, but won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

Taking the Granddaughters to the Zoo tomorrow, and then a picnic lunch, they requested ribs.

I like apple flavor in my ribs, but apple juice will braise the ribs but it doesn't impart a lot of apple flavor. SM Spicy Apple, I just get sick of the same flavor over and over again.

I bought six slabs of St. Louis cut ribs. Coated them with Oakridge Sweet Rib Rub, (one of my favorites for ribs).

enhance

enhance

Let them go until I got the Desired color I prefer and then prepared to wrap them....

Instead of using honey or brown sugar in the wrapping process, I bought some boiled cider syrup. It is very concentrated, very thick like honey, but very potent apple flavor.

enhance

Gave a light dusting of Oakridge Secret Weapon and drizzled with Boiled Cider and added a little apple juice for liquid.

I feel by using my favorite rubs, I can still have the flavors I like, and by adding the Boiled Cider I can have the apple flavor I prefer without having to use a different rub.

Wrapped and back in the smoker, will remove in about an hour and a half, and flash cool them. Will reheat them on the grill tomorrow and finish the cooking process at our picnic lunch.

I've used boiled cider in my injections for pork butts, but sometimes it can be just slightly sweet. Ribs can always use a little sweetness so I'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

Looking forward to how this turns out.

Another great way to get that apple flavor on Pork is to use Harvest Brine as a dry brine or a Seasoning.
With real apples and dehydrated maple, it puts a college education on pork.

I saw something a long time ago where they used apple butter in the slathering and even in the sauce.
I need some of that boiled cider, sounds tasty.

Looking forward to the verdict, MadMan.

The whole brown sugar, honey, and margarine / butter wrap at mid cook makes my teeth hurt...I like savory and I'll save cotton candy for a county fair.

Infusing a good apple flavor without the overbearing sweetness in ribs does intrigue me. :-D

Looking forward to how this turns out.

Another great way to get that apple flavor on Pork is to use Harvest Brine as a dry brine or a Seasoning.
With real apples and dehydrated maple, it puts a college education on pork.

I've used your Harvest Brine on Pork Loins, Turkey, Chicken, and Capon; all with great results. I was looking for just apple flavors for this cook, but maybe I'll harvest brine the next time. Thanks for the tip.

An apple jelly glaze will help as will an apple sauce based glaze. Love my pork chops that way! Looking forward to the results.

Bob

I saw something a long time ago where they used apple butter in the slathering and even in the sauce.
I need some of that boiled cider, sounds tasty.

I use it as syrup on waffles, my wife says the apple flavor is too overpowering for her. Also great in baked beans and as a glaze.

They make it in the same manner as Maple Syrup, they boil the cider down to a syrup consistency and bottle it.

Back