Drunken flank steak and twice baked potatoes

robbq

is one Smokin' Farker
I put together some stuff for the current throwdowns. For the booze throwdown, I did a drunken flank steak with a rum, tequila and orange juice marinade. For the tater throwdown, I did twice baked potatoes with home made bacon.

Yesterday I smoked some bacon that had been curing for a week. Going on the smoker:
2171.jpg

It was snowing, so I used a table as an umbrella.
2173.jpg

After smoking 2 hours with apple wood.
2175.jpg

Here is some I cooked up after slicing it today. This is going in the potatoes.
2183.jpg

For the marinade, I used light rum, tequila, orange juice, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and salt. I scored a 2 pound flank steak and marinated for several hours.
2182.jpg

While the meat was marinating I made a raisin pecan rye bread. I love this bread.
2194.jpg

It snowed more last night so the equipment needed to be dug out. Again.
2185.jpg

Next I worked on the taters. I scrubbed 4 nice baking taters and roasted them for an hour.
2187.jpg

Cut them in half and scooped out the guts.
2189.jpg

Mashed up the potato guts along with butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Then added some of my home made bacon.
2191.jpg

Stuffed them and put cheddar cheese on top. For some reason there wasn't enough stuffing for all of them, so one got turned into a snack with just cheddar.
2192.jpg

It was snowing again and I couldn't deal with charcoal, so they went onto my trusty old gasser with indirect heat.
2193.jpg

Time to grill the flank steak.
2197.jpg

Done grilling.
2198.jpg

Sliced.
2201.jpg

And on the plate with some asparagus and the fresh bread.
2211.jpg

Everything turned out great, especially the potatoes. There's something especially great about cooking outside when the weather sucks! Thanks for looking.

I need to stop looking at these threads after having fried chicken from the local supermarket for supper! ( Was at a church gathering tonight ) Should have stayed home and had a grilled cheese sammie instead.

Omar

You are right about everything better when cooked at home, even something as simple as a grilled cheese sandwich.

OT... I loaded some equipment from your local power station one time and hauled it to North Carolina. Lovely area for the North East.

Omar

Back