drum on a drum smoker builds, do they work well?

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
as in a horizontal drum sitting on top of a vertical drum.

extremely pleased with how my UDS is working and starting to think about building another smoker. I have seen pics of this type online and the additional grate area is appealing for bigger cooks but wondering if they work well.

I could also just go all the way to a true horizontal with side chamber but these designs caught my eye and I am curious. Anyone have any experience with this style?

Thanks for the advice.

IMnotalwaysHO

It should work great! I think it wont be any different than regular except you increase capacity. Just make sure you seal it up good, and you have a jumbo UDS.

Debmar,
Interesting. I tried to google what you are talking about, but nothing came up.
Could you provide a link?

Thats exactly it

What I was referring to. Guess I was wondering about temp variability. with a drum your all on top of the fire or pretty close anyway. with these type I wonder about the ends, but I suppose with a baffle plate of some sort it should be capable of evening that out.

would be great to hear from someone actually using it and their experience.

I have built both, a t bone and a double barrel. Not worth it in my opinion. Build 2 uds if you need that much capacity. Way easier to control temperature and way less fabrication. You can find the threads that I started about the t smoker if you want or ask questions about either. I wouldn't recommend either. They use way more fuel too.

A TBone ? Mine worked Decent - hard to get firebox door air tight so would suck air and try to Run Hot. The Ribs On side of the Drum were the issue - a slick sided drum would seal better......
They do burn thru more charcoal than a UDS being double the size. Kaptain Kadians build was better than mine. On the first one I cut the bottom drum like he did but I had a hard time welding them together without burning holes in them - second one I just put the drum on top of the other drum as you can see in the pic .

8130a9ec8c0e1b476219bee86f210a21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double barrel is just a different offset smoker configuration. Radiant heat from the firebox below the cook chamber might change things a little, but the air gap will minimize any hotspot, especially if you put a reverse flow baffle in the top drum.

I think I would pass on this, myself.
Too many easily acquired designs available.
But if the stars were to align, try some chunks of cast off well casings.
20" to 24".
Now you are talking a burner that would last.

My horizontal drum. 2 cooking grates 20.5"X 30". Drip pan grate. My large coal basket will go 11 hrs at 275*. I also made a small coal basket that sits to one side opposite the exh that will go 5 to 6 hrs. Similar to how folks smoke in their Webers. With reverse sear right there ready to go over the coals if wanted.
My horizontal uses about 1/3 more charcoal than my UDS on long smokes/cooks. At the most. Shuts down in an hour or less.
I also added an offset fire box for when I want to cook that way.
Different exh's and intakes for different methods.
Looks like crap. But I spend alot of hours figuring out what does/doesn't work. It is my prototype, not a finished/pretty product.
It works so well I don't see a reason to build a new one till this one rots away.
Just a thought.

Attachments

• drip pan (1).jpg
    drip pan (1).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
  • smokin at 275.jpg
    smokin at 275.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 17
  • brats.jpg
    brats.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01306.jpg