Does anyone here "Double smoke" or "Re-smoke"

Big Swole

is one Smokin' Farker
Does anyone here do this or see any benefit to it at all?? I'm one that loves a heavier smoke profile on my Q, and I've often thought about trying something new. I'm really just brainstorming and thinking about doing something new just to try.

Smoking a brisket, butt, ribs, chicken, etc. Up to the 140-160* range where the meat stops (allegedly) taking on smoke, then wrapping it and cooling it down quickly in a freezer / refrigerator. Once it's sat in the cooler over night or however long, introducing it back onto / in a Smoker and bring it back up slowly and then finishing the cook.

Do you think there would be any benefit of taste / smoke by doing this??

Maybe even do a re-rub / baste / sauce / mop / spritz, to add those extra flavor profiles and something for the smoke to penetrate or adhere to.

Just thinking out loud really. Wondering if this would just dry the meat out too much or if finishing the cook the 2nd time would add any extra smoke / flavor.

Thoughts??

I like the idea, go ahead and give it a try and share the results. Agree that fattier cuts of meat are the way to go.

I believe that is what the Salt Lick does when they smoke, cool down their meats, and then throw it on their open pit to warm up. That video from the Salt Lick thread was eye opening... as I nearly cried when I saw it. They are like McDonald's to me.. I know they are not the best out there but it was a child hood favorite.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyw5cK3x0SM"]The Salt Lick BBQ in Texas - YouTube[/ame]

I believe that is what the Salt Lick does when they smoke, cool down their meats, and then throw it on their open pit to warm up. That video from the Salt Lick thread was eye opening... as I nearly cried when I saw it. They are like McDonald's to me.. I know they are not the best out there but it was a child hood favorite.

Yeah I saw that vid a while back. I'd actually been thinking about this a long time now prior to seeing the vid.

I will try a brisket I think but I'm not going to use an expensive one to start. I do think a Boston Butt might be best since it's so fatty. Ribs might turn out dry by doing this but I might try them too sometime.

Back