Does anyone donate their BBQ?

Matto6

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I'm new to BBQ and I really want to practice to master it. But I'm a family of 2 and I don't know what to do with all this BBQ! My freezer is full of vaccum sealed pulled pork.. but I still want to cook more because I know it can be better, and I don't want to wait a month to use my smoker again!

I had the idea of donating the results of my practice sessions. Has anyone done something similar and have suggestions on how to go about it? It's not like canned food where you can walk in and drop it off in the corner. It's hot, cooked food.

I will ask my neighbors for ideas about local food banks... Or maybe just feeding the local volunteer firemen. But I'm curious if others have done something similar and have suggestion.

I have taken my bbq to our local police, fire fighters and paramedics/EMT. They appreciate it. I haven't done it since Covid though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have taken my bbq to our local police, fire fighters and paramedics/EMT. They appreciate it. I haven't done it since Covid though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Nice.

Did you arrange it all ahead so they could plan? Or just show up with a tray of food?

I have donated to some local groups who feed the homeless, usually church groups. I too vac seal and freeze some of my left overs and then they can re heat them to serve.

Nice.

Did you arrange it all ahead so they could plan? Or just show up with a tray of food?

Having retired from police work, I would suggest you talk to one of your local officers first. I can guarantee they are going to love it if they know why your bringing it. If you just show up with it, it's probably getting tossed because they don't know what you did to it, and think you may be messing with their food. If you explain it to them, they'll much appreciate the gesture.

Used to feed my coworkers all the time. Would bring meat and they would bring sides and a dessert.

I believe a fair amount will depend on local health department regulations.

I have tried to donate to the local fire house, but I was told they can only accept packaged foods from individuals without a license to sell food.

I have my wife call friends, family, and neighbors and based upon their response is how much I cook for the weekend. I can normally get rid of 2-4 whole butts and up to 12 racks of ribs per a weekend of cooking. When they get tired of BBQ then it goes to my work for employees. I keep only enough for one meal and the rest goes out the door, every time.:thumb:

my local neighborhood cops stop by when I BBQ. I often let them know in advance.
My neighbors and friends almost always seem to stop by also when I smoke.
I often end up with just one rack of ribs or a 1/4 of a Butt or Brisket.

You must be doing some large cooks.

I've gifted food to various hospital units for the employee lounge, but we have inside connections so to speak. For decades I've taken food to Football Sundays, or pot lucks at my local watering hole, but COVID has put the brakes on that. One thing I still do is gift friends. In the last week for example, I've given away homemade pickles, 10 dozen ears of sweet corn, beef stew and a pastrami.

Ive thought about doing something for the local soup kitchen or shelter but I live in NJ where we have a dictator and everything in the state is overly regulated. Not sure what kind of red tape I would have to go through.

Guys at work (at previous job) Sure Loved Mondays when I first started and was cooking Every weekend...........

Mostly friends, but when I've donated to a local firehouse, I made contact first. It helped that I knew someone that worked at the station.

My daughter works for 911 dispatch. She volunteers me twice a year to smoke meat for their pot luck dinner.
But since covid upper echelon put a damper on it.
I don't mind donating and cooking for about 30. I only do this for her shift.
It stokes my ego with the rave reviews and I can experiment with different rubs.
Turkeys, pulled pork or hams are the usual fare.
Paul B

Excellent suggestion to find ways to use the protein for others! I have faced similar concerns...I'm the only one in the house that eats the stuff I smoke.

My strategy (NOTE: this is for relatively small cooks...maybe 4 butts at a time; 3 chuck roasts at a time, etc.).

1. Family. I've got a nephew that lives ~ 20 miles away. He's just starting out on his own after college. Helped get his home kitchen started and he's doing really well with his cooking. Unfortunately, he's in an apartment that doesn't allow grilling/smoking. Will drop off treats episodically. Also have in-laws not too far away. They are now in their 80s and the work of cooking and cleaning up is something that's starting to wear on them a bit. Whenever we visit, I pack along something vacuum sealed for them. This past weekend, it was smoked chuckie. Nice to be able to drop off some treats for family.

2. Neighbors. We have a neighbor who is recovering from cancer. Will regularly drop off food for their family.

I have also become sort of the meat fairy for my neighborhood. I'll check with neighbors to see if they're around, then drop off something when I'm running out of freezer space.

3. Co-workers. We have post docs (e.g., people who have spent a lot of time in college who are continuing their training at reduced wages for the joy of working tons of hours!). I know they don't have a lot of money or a lot of time, so I do what I can to keep them reasonably well fed.

The rest of the office crew are next in line. I work in a poison center (meaning, 24 hour a day call center). If anyone brings in food, it gets eaten. :biggrin1:

Would bet that there are neighbors that would really appreciate your kindness. There are likely individuals dealing with health issues that could very much use a good meal. Perhaps you could find families in need by connecting with your local faith communities or local cancer support groups?

Bruce

Back