DIY 22” Weber XL- Jumbo Joe???

snimmer

Found some matches.
Hey all,
Part of this seems like an idea that may interest a small few of you…… The other part is just me wanting to start a project so I can hopefully look at it in the end and say: look what I did.

I realize I could simply drive 5 miles down the road to Walmart and pick up an 18 jumbo Joe for portability on Boat trips to the local sandbar. My 14 inch smoky Joe is fine for my wife and son and I, but we rarely alone And I really don’t want to spend my entire day on the sandbar doing multiple batches of burgers. I have an extra 22” kettle lying around so my thoughts are To install a set of 22 inch WSM legs on it.…… I realize I could simply remove the factory tall legs and then reinstall on the sandbar and then have to turn around and do the same thing for the trip home so I’m looking for a more convenient option to have a larger than 14 inch portable grill That doesn’t require disassembly/ assembly each time. Has anyone attempted something similar? Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I replaced the legs on a 22 to much shorter ones. Worked well.

This. ^^^

Get some aluminum tubing (or find a free donor 22 that you can take the legs from). Remove the triangle and wheels from your kettle and cut the tubing (or donor legs) 12" long. If you have a bucket on the bottom it will still clear the ground. You can easily twist the legs out when you're done and put the triangle/wheels back on when you get home.

Take a grate and dig a small fire pit or use rocks?

Thanks for the response Cowgirl. We can’t grill at ground level. The sandbar is in the mouth of the river at the edge of the ocean and the constant breeze has the sand blowing constantly. Appreciate the idea of simplicity though

I got nipples from the hardware store so I could put my 22" close to the ground and use as a firepit

Years ago Cajun Bandit sold a kit to transform a 22" weber kettle into a 22" smokey mountain. The kit contained the center barrel, 2nd rack, water pan and stubby legs. The center barrel got lost in the move to my new house but I still have the rest. Makes for a nice 22" Jumbo Joe.

View attachment 193609

Last edited:
Back