Dear Organizer - Awards

Ya, I have been in the middle of the trailer strapping stuff to the wall and been told "awards in 2 minutes". Great. If you are going to move them up, please, please give us more than 120 seconds notice. I would make sure I wasn't in the middle of something if I had some notice.

You're lucky. Last competition I did, my teamate yelled at me from 25 feet away "Hey, awards started!" and ran in without waiting for me....

dmp

I like the previous comments about having a short bio about the team to read to fill the time while the team walks to the stage. You can pause for applause, then read where the team is from and maybe how long they've been competing. Just 5 - 10 seconds worth of info.

How about setting the layout in stone ahead of time so you aren't scrambling to find places to put people.

In other news, come say hi if you are at smokin on the bay. We're one of the teams in the unmarked spaces in the roadway...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

On this note:

Don't lie to the teams
If awards are scheduled for 4 and there is a problem, Tell us! Be honest and realistic with the reschedule. Don't come around at 3:45 and tell us awards will be 20 minutes late when you know damn well that it's going to be at least an hour because they are still just imputing chicken scores because the system crashed, or the person with the checks has a flat tire, or whatever. If it won't be until 5, tell us 5 so we can finish loading out.

You are exactly right about this one. At a recent comp, they published that awards were @ 4. We showed up at 4, five people were in the auditorium, no officials were around, so we went back to finish loading up. Somebody (also not an official) came around and said awards were @ 5. After working up another good sweat loading up, a policeman came around and announced that they were calling backyard awards right now - around 4:25 pm. If awards are going to be late, send an official around maybe with a bullhorn or something to notify teams about when awards will start.

What really sucked was I got my first backyard call... ever, and I won first place chicken. Didn't get to hear my name called, one of the best things about awards in the first place. Further, They gave the first place check to the third place chicken team. Fortunately, the third place winner was honest and came over to me and swapped envelopes.

Frustrating to say the least.

Dont call gc and rgc and then switch them after the fact. read the f-n sheet. or get your glasses on. just my 2 cents.

How about setting the layout in stone ahead of time so you aren't scrambling to find places to put people.

In other news, come say hi if you are at smokin on the bay. We're one of the teams in the unmarked spaces in the roadway...

A solid layout is a great idea. But assigned spaces are not. It's hard to parrallel park a 30' trailer between 2 teams.

A solid layout is a great idea. But assigned spaces are not. It's hard to parrallel park a 30' trailer between 2 teams.

Agreed. but letting the venue yank 10 spaces the morning of the event is not ok.

Btw turns out the improvised roadway spots are breezy and pleasant during the day but catch the full force of 65mph winds in the overnight storms.. that was exciting..

Back