Custom Pit Help

Masterofq

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
D
Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a patio traditional offset smoker. Unfortunately, I’m located in New England and shipping from the well known builders is going to be a killer. I found a local place that builds smokers but I can’t find many reviews. What should I be looking for when determining the quality of their pits? What type of questions should I be asking them? I don’t want to end up with a pretty pit that performs poorly. Pictures of their work can be seen on their website and Facebook page here:
https://www.doubletakefabrications.com/
https://www.facebook.com/doubletakefab
https://www.instagram.com/doubletakefab

What do you guys think? Do you see anything in terms of design or weld quality that’s concerning? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Smoke stack looks a little small on some of photos on IG. What is metal thickness? See if you can get photo of fb/cc opening

Outlaw build excellent pits and they are located in Indiana. May be worth checking out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it would come down to price. How much you are saving vs. having another builder ship you one.

Also consider his lead time vs. any other builder's that you may be interested in.

He certainly looks like he has the experience building pits.

One thing I noticed was the cook chamber door flange is not welded continuously all the way around on some Facebook pics of the backyard models.

I would ask for that and at least 1/4" metal all the way around. Maybe 3/8" on the fire box.

Ask for a removable or drop down front shelf and at least 8" casters. Ball valve for easy clean out.

The 24x48 looks like a nice pit on Fb. The smaller cooker with the off road package looks "squatty". Should have had a bigger cook chamber for that design/extra money.

Ask for a quote on the size you want and post it back here for our reference with at least the above options.

That will help with opinions here.

Workhorse pits shipping on the "slow" schedule for Texas isn't too bad.

Or, get their little trailer model and make a 3-day weekend trop to visit them! Their small trailer pit could be pulled by most mid-size cars if that is all you have.

Their 1975 would also fit in the bed of pickup if you want to go that route.

Be cautious of local builders because they could build a great smoker but, I have seen a lot that don't draft right or have consistent temperature anywhere on the grate.

I'm debating bringing back a Humphrey Weekender on a trip to Vermont this Summer/early Fall.

Look into greenmoneyfab in NJ. Look like nice pits.

This would be my suggestion as well, I spoke with him recently & he is starting a run in Feb on 90 or 120 gallon back yard smokers. His 90 starts at $2200 plus options & looks real nice. Your other choice at double take is a popular one, I recently posted on the NE Pitmasters FB page & everyone referred me to Mike @ double take.

I am in the same boat as you & looked real hard for a couple of months for an offset with zero luck so decided to wait some of this insanity out & see what happens over the winter. Also, I can appreciate people recommending Workhorse but their current wait time is almost 6 months at minimum, way out of smoking season for us in the NE! Either way good luck in your search!

https://www.greenmoneyfab.com/90-and-120-gallon-pipe-cookers

Pics don't look bad, but I'm not seeing anything which "blows me away." Of course I didn't see any prices listed either, so who knows. There is a very good reason why "the usual suspects" keep getting brought up over and over in these types of threads. While I don't think every single weld needs to be up to Shirly Fabrication standards, some of what I saw on that Instagram page looks pretty amateur.

Have you looked into Meadow Creek Smokers? They have a few dealers in that general region and I've never heard a negative thing about their smokers. Their prices are on the higher end but you get what you pay for.

Either way good luck!

Back