THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a prime packer for $3.89/# at Burbank Costco last week - pretty dang nice one at that. Haven't seen 'em in a long time at Marina del Rey.

no problem finding prime brisket here in MI

Have been getting prime briskets from local Costco in Brighton, MI without a problem. Usually $3.59/lb. They always seem to turn out great when cooked properly.

Thers's been an interesting development at my local Costco. They stopped carrying prime packers, but today Imchecked out the case, and found prime beef short ribs (chuck) in cryovacs! Got me a twin pack today and will be cooking one tomorrow!

swift - i purchased a 2 3 packs of stl cut spares from costco ... never again. they were still bleeding after removing the membrane. Thats a result of poor treatment of the carcass ...

I've been disappointed with the last few STL rib packs I've gotten as well. Someone obviously doesn't know what a STL cut is supposed to be. Rib tips everywhere.

no way in hell is a commodity prime brisket worth more than ground beef. I'll never agree with that price. I'll happily smoke selects or choice provided they arent from excel or swift.

looking at the examples found in our 2 regional costcos (lafayette and baton rouge) - the quality of the actual cut has gone way down.. noticeably down. In the past it was very infrequent to find the hard white cap fat...or even skin on a packer... its now on nearly every single one from swift..ive even seen cow hair on a couple. And the amount of pink slime along with pools of blood ... yuck.

That tells me the commodity packers are throwing these out as fast as possible.

swift - i purchased a 2 3 packs of stl cut spares from costco ... never again. they were still bleeding after removing the membrane. Thats a result of poor treatment of the carcass ...

the IBP brand seems to be 2nd most consistent after Blue Ribbon Angus... as far as commodity goes. You can have all the rest. My costco wont even offer me the other brands anymore.

I will agree that the quality of primes I've been finding at Costco have gone down through the year this year. I used to get some where the marbling in the flat was almost as good as the Wagyu I've seen (I realize there's more to wavy than just marbling), but lately the primes have been pretty unremarkable yet are selling at $3.99/lb.

Thers's been an interesting development at my local Costco. They stopped carrying prime packers, but today Imchecked out the case, and found prime beef short ribs (chuck) in cryovacs! Got me a twin pack today and will be cooking one tomorrow!

I'm definitely jealous. I have found flank steak on occasion, but never beef ribs. :biggrin1:

Purchased my first Costco packard at the Plano Tx. East store. They had 15+ packards (11LBs and greater) all PRIME. I'll be going back for my next brisket cook.

The Chicago Costco on Elston is still carrying prime packers. Almost brought one home this morning.

In North Jersey I have a better chance of hitting the lottery, the finding prime packers at Costco. I once spoke with the assistant manger of the meat department, got NO where FAST!!!!!
I've been using CAB from restaurant depot..Would love to try a prime one.

DanB

The one in Schaumburg (outside of Chicago) is now again selling prime packers...but at $3.99/lb. The meat manager there told me it was a supply issue. I grabbed one of course. :p

Oh my ! Did Costco run out of prime brisket ?

I wanted one for a 4th of July cook only to find they were out and a restock was soon on the way. Well , I stopped in today and it the first time in 3 weeks that they had a cooler full of packers but it was CAB and not the usual Prime grade.

What's your local Costco have in stock ?

I won't cry too much as 2.79 for CAB seems fair but having access to prime was pretty sweet .

are you shopping at the one in Tumwater or the one in lacey? also have you tried cash and carry on fones road?

Back