Corned Beef / Pastrami Help

ColoradoSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
This is my second attempt at pastrami. First time was a few years ago and it was way too salty (even though I desalinated it).

I purchased a brined corned beef (uncooked) and plan to desalinate it in cold water for 24 hrs (changing water every 8-12 hrs).

Question: I've read about two different cooking methods, wondering which one is best?

1) Smoke @ 250F until reaches 150-160F. Steam for 1-2 hrs until reaches 203F.

2) Sous-vide @155F for 30 hrs then cool. Smoke @225F until reaches 125F, about 1 hour.

This is my second attempt at pastrami. First time was a few years ago and it was way too salty (even though I desalinated it).

I purchased a brined corned beef (uncooked) and plan to desalinate it in cold water for 24 hrs (changing water every 8-12 hrs).

Question: I've read about two different cooking methods, wondering which one is best?

1) Smoke @ 250F until reaches 150-160F. Steam for 1-2 hrs until reaches 203F.

2) Sous-vide @155F for 30 hrs then cool. Smoke @225F until reaches 125F, about 1 hour.

I would suggest changing the water every 2 - 4 hours, at least twice, and there should also be twice the volume of water to the volume of meat.

I would go with the steam method, as the meat temperature above 180° over time, will break down the connective tissue making it more tender and almost an effortless chew.

Soak and smoke...
I smoke it to around 170. Place it on a rack in a pan. Enough liquid to create some steam but not deep enough to touch the meat. Foil tight and keep cooking to 205...Rest, chill, and slice against the grain. Works for me.

Back