Cooking for Webelos (and for Scouts!)

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Last weekend was a big Boy Scout-Cub Scout camping weekend around here called Webelos-O-Ree. The idea is to have Cub Scouts go around the camp ground from station to station, learning skills such as fire making, knots, first aid, etc. The Boy Scout troops from the area are the folks running those stations. It's a terrific way for Cubs to see what Boy Scouts can do and for Cub Scout families to talk to Boy Scout Troops. Choosing a Boy Scout troop is a big decision and Webelos-O-Ree is a great way for the families to see how the Troops are run and talk to the Scout leaders.

Our troop has been responsible for the cooking demonstration for many years. Several years ago, one of the adults in the Troop thought it might be helpful to showcase the Troop's love of cooking and concept of cooking anything anywhere by doing a whole hog. It was a hit! The Cubs all get excited and wonder if it's really a pig, and the parents (usually the fathers) pretty much all look longingly at the pig. It's excellent marketing!

It's become a tradition in our troop that the first year Scouts are the one's who have the opportunity to prep the pig and be responsible for it...from pulling it out of the fridge, to attaching it to the spit, to turning it every 5 - 7 minutes. This year, we had a second year Scout that was the older brother of a first year Scout that volunteered to help. We found out later that the older brother had been pestering the younger brother about how gross the pig was for a week before the outing. The younger brother hung in for a while, but when he was attaching the pig to the spit, he turned green and had to tap out. He did recover quickly and helped out with the rest of the cook. :mrgreen:

Pulling the pig from the fridge:

This was a small pig...~ 45lb...still quite challenging for kids that weight ~ 60 lbs to move.

Getting the pig ready (and freaking out the younger brother!):

More pig prep:

Boys moving the pig to the fire in the dark:

Pig on the fire:

We also cook a bunch of other stuff.

This was part of breakfast...we did fatties (smoked at home), potatoes, onions, peppers and scrambled eggs, served in tortillas with homemade salsa. Sorry, no pics of the prepped food...I was too busy eating! This is the potatoes cooking in one of the discadas that was going:

Lunch included home made gyros:

Prep:

Cooking gyros:

Our Scouts doing some instruction with the Cubs on camp cooking:

Unfortunately, the fire got a bit too hot for Mr. Pig:

Also, cooked trash can turkey and a couple Dutch oven goodies:

Our Scouts waiting mostly patiently to dig in to lunch:

All in all, it was a terrific weekend with the Cubs and the Boy Scouts!

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Thanks Jeannie! It's a lot of fun for the adults as well! The only down side? I'be gained 25 lbs since becoming Scoutmaster for the troop!

Bruce

Awesome, wish I had something like that as a kid.

Man, you guys know how do it up right!!
I loved my scouting days. I still think about the things I learned, thanks to leaders like yourself, who give they're time to help young boys become good men!
Thank you very much!:clap2:

Wow, we definitely didn't eat that well when I was in Scouts! Looks like everyone had a great time thanks to one awesome Scoutmaster his fellow volunteers.

I forgot to mention dessert...we were at a site that had electricity, so we got the ice cream makers going. Made an amazing batch of cinnamon ice cream to go with the Dutch oven chocolate-Oreo cake. Yum!

Good thing calories don't count when you're in the woods! :mrgreen:

Bruce

Way cool, I wish we had done something like that when I was in Scouts

Back