Cooking for friends - Vertical offset cook! Live!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey folks! Well here's the story.. I had some water lines bust.. it required me to replace just about every single water line in the house.. I know.. Bummer!

Hired a friend of mine to do the job for me, handed me the receipt for the parts and said "Pay for the parts, and cook me BBQ sometime and we'll call it even on labor"..... Luckily I already had a turkey thawing in the fridge cuz it was taking up to much space in the freezer!

Today is the day! Doing a pretty big cook! On the menu today, we have brisket, Turkey, beef short ribs, pork butt, corn on the cob, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno's, and beans.

Thought this was the perfect time to thaw out the brisket from the 1/2 beef I purchased. This thing looks weird.. I wanna say they chopped off the flat of this brisket for something else? I requested the whole brisket.. but in a way it looks like the flat and point is both there.. Just really thin/flat compared to most.

I have no clue how long this will take to cook.. I'm thinking I'm cooking it way to soon. But I do have coolers, towels to hold the meat if need be.
182tdFgl.jpg

This rub is going on the porkbutt, peppers, and a slab of the brisket I cut off to make it fit in the smoker.
BMIxER1l.jpg

Pork butt
HJtWcOKl.jpg

Porkbutt and brisket happy in the smoker together! They will be getting visitors through out the day!
osftkXrl.jpg

I think you are just seeing the downside to a smaller steer. Should taste fine, and will probably take longer than you think. Thin or not, you still need to break down the collagen and connective tissue. Luckily brisket is forging on hold times.

I think you are just seeing the downside to a smaller steer. Should taste fine, and will probably take longer than you think. Thin or not, you still need to break down the collagen and connective tissue. Luckily brisket is forging on hold times.

yeah man.....maybe your right I knew to expect something smaller... But really how the grain runs and how it looks.. Seriously looks like the flat is missing off the brisket.. haha Kinda set me back.. But yeah my fire is screaming right now on the offset.. I tried the charcoal method to see if I could keep a better coal bed. First time charcoal has ever been in that cooker.. Probably be the last if this doesn't work :thumb:

yeah man.....maybe your right I knew to expect something smaller... But really how the grain runs and how it looks.. Seriously looks like the flat is missing off the brisket.. haha Kinda set me back.. But yeah my fire is screaming right now on the offset.. I tried the charcoal method to see if I could keep a better coal bed. First time charcoal has ever been in that cooker.. Probably be the last if this doesn't work :thumb:

I always use charcoal for a coal bed. I think you will be happy. Good Luck.

I always use charcoal for a coal bed. I think you will be happy. Good Luck.

Well the bottom of the bag fell apart in the building.. I had to use it up before it got wet. Also I might want to add.. these guys aren't picky.. if things are done way before they show up then I don't care to warm up the food haha.. But I'm gonna hope for a good hold in a cooler if need be! I've timed it for 8-9 hrs for the pork butt..if not less. and just put the brisket on with it. If it gets done way before hand then great.

Tuned in and looking forward to seeing the results blazinfire. Appears both you and your friend are making out on the trade. Good on both of you.

Tuned in and looking forward to seeing the results blazinfire. Appears both you and your friend are making out on the trade. Good on both of you.

Haha If I don't screw this one up! I should of let the smokers temp go back down before adding the meat.. But I was rushed to at least get the butt and brisket going to make sure it was done within the 8 hr time frame.

I think I might of got a good bark forming already on the pork butt haha! If its not bark then its burnt :thumb:

2 1/2 hours into it. the brisket is at 180-190 degree's in all areas.. starting to probe tender.. waiting for one spot.... No clue what to do.. its going on 12:30 and eating time is at 6-7ish.. Everything is is gonna take a while to cook :p

Some pictures! here's the turkey.. Threw it on. Had to use a piece of wood to prop the 2nd shelf up.

cRRGw0Ql.jpg

ff886URl.jpg

Here's the pork butt and brisket.. The piece in front of the pork butt is the really flat portion of the brisket.. made it to long to fit in the smoker. The brisket is mostly done already.. Waiting for one part to probe tender. The smaller piece honestly makes me think of a nice slab of bacon... Very thin meat with a little fat. Pics of that coming!

BLbnQYcl.jpg

Love it when friends help each other. If the brisket gets done too early it will keep in the oven on it's lowest setting. Just make sure to vent it first to stop the cooking process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh my gosh man.. That had to be the best feast I've ever cooked for somebody else.. Most times I don't give a crap, but This was to pay someone for work they did..

Also for sides, we had corn on the cob and bushes baked beans.. The exact words out of my buddies mouth was "This meal was well worth the work I did for you.. Thanks man!" So... I must of nailed it!

The brisket.. it was really good, but it wasn't fantastic. It cooked for another 2 hours before I pulled it after my previous post above.
r8yzWMwl.jpg

6JM0gWRl.jpg

Here's the peppers
YN0NXtkl.jpg

Turkey
WpjkY1fl.jpg

pork butt
NHkJHpVl.jpg

FYfJHgil.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Smokes! That looks great.

Sounds like you've got some solid friends out your way, and you took good care of 'em tonight.

Back