Cooking for 75 - QUESTIONS

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
I've been asked to cook for 75 people at a baby shower. They want pulled pork and ribs. I'm thinking about 50 lbs of butt, and 25 St. Louis racks. Is that about right? There will be sides, as well.

Two other things:
1. I'm cooking at home and bringing the food in tin pans. I'm thinking about bringing my weber kettle to the party to grill appetizers throughout the party (the last thing I want to do is get stuck in the house for a baby shower). Any thoughts on appetizers?
2. This could be funny. I'm thinking of making a fatty that looks like a bundled baby. I'd make the bacon wrap look like the blanket, and I'd probably jam a baby doll head into the end. Anyone ever make a baby fatty (or fatty baby)?

Your gonna have ALOT of meat leftover. Not a bad thing. But Baby showers are usually 75 % women and they dont eat like the boys do. YMMV. Good luck. Post pics
If ya cooked 15 racks, @ 12 bones / Rack that woud give most 3 Bones each.
50 lbs of Pork will yield 25 cooked at least. @ 5 sandwiches per pound of cooked meat thats 125 Sandwiches depending on the size of the bun. But realistically youll get 6-7 per lb with women making the sandwich.

Your gonna have ALOT of meat leftover. Not a bad thing. But Baby showers are usually 75 % women and they dont eat like the boys do. YMMV. Good luck. Post pics

^^^ Yeah, going to be a heck of a lot of leftovers. Women at a baby shower aren't going to devour a 1/3 rack of ribs along with a 1/2 pound of PP.

I can't wait to see that baby fatty. Hope you take pics Uncle JJ! :-D

With 2 meats, I'd figure on 1/4 pound of PP per person. 75 / 4 = 18.5 lbs of pulled pork. Go ahead and round it up to 20 just for kicks. Butts will lose about 40% leaving a yield of 60% give or take, so start with about 32 lbs of raw butt.

I agree with all the above statements.Less work and less thought as to what to do with the left overs.Women can be funny in that setting where as men dont care.If a Women eats two plates of food it may be noticed but for a Man may be considered as normal.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Cowgirl, I'll be sure to take baby photo's of the little fatty!

BTW, this is a couples shower, so there will be plenty of eaters.

You gonna cut up a baby in front of 75 women? :twisted:

Lay the fatty baby out on a bed of pulled pork like it's a manger :wink:

You guys hit a funny bone. :thumb:

^^^ Yeah, going to be a heck of a lot of leftovers. Women at a baby shower aren't going to devour a 1/3 rack of ribs along with a 1/2 pound of PP.

Well, unless there is a little booze involved.

I can't wait to see that baby fatty. Hope you take pics Uncle JJ! :-D

You and me both.

Call me the "Buzz Kill" at this party, but you may want to rethink the Baby Fatty thing.

Some woman may take serious exception to cutting something up that looks like a baby, and then eating it. Even if they chuckle a bit about it at the party, I'm sure in their heads they're thinking, WTF.

What kind of sounds funny here in BBQ-ville, may have much different results to a group of women that are there to celebrate a new life.

Just my .02…I don't know you or your group.

Haven't cooked a baby yet, but you can make a zombie easy enough. I imagine for a baby zombie, you can just remove the teeth and insert a pacifier:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124248

IMG_4394.jpg

Call me the "Buzz Kill" at this party, but you may want to rethink the Baby Fatty thing.

Some woman may take serious exception to cutting something up that looks like a baby, and then eating it. Even if they chuckle a bit about it at the party, I'm sure in their heads they're thinking, WTF.

What kind of sounds funny here in BBQ-ville, may have much different results to a group of women that are there to celebrate a new life.

Just my .02…I don't know you or your group.
This got eaten at the couples shower for my son...

461454_10150836656890140_923900806_o.jpg

The question I have is: What goodies should I put inside the fatty baby?

As for participants who might be squeemish about cutting up a fatty baby, I suspect they will get over it.

For appetizers I would go with chicken wings and have different sauces for people with different taste, that's easier than trying to figure out who would like what. A.B.T's and lil smokey's on a stick (toothpicks) are always an appetizer and crowd pleaser for me.

The question I have is: What goodies should I put inside the fatty baby?

As for participants who might be squeemish about cutting up a fatty baby, I suspect they will get over it.

lol I like the baby fatty idea. Have no clue as to what a good stuffing would be but I'll do some thinkin'.

Back