Cooker/dedication Smoker Recommendation

nails1908

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Brick
Hey guys,

Longtime lurker and finally making my first post. I'm sure there have been thousands of these so I apologize for the repitition, but I figured I'd get some specific 2020 thoughts.

Here's where I'm at -

Own -
1) Weber Kettle 22" with SNS.
2) PK Original (just bought)

Want - 1) Dedicated smoker that can hold temps for 7-8+ hours with little to no maintenance. Price range is hopefully less than $500.

As of now I'm leaning towards picking up an 18" WSM on the secondary market and seeing how I like that, but I wanted some opinions.

I love the UDS idea/design and would like to have one someday, but I do also enjoy the ability to tinker and I'm ideally looking for something I could start late at night and wake up in the morning without issue. Maybe the UDS can do that and I just don't know it.

Capacity - the bigger the better but honestly I will typically be cooking for 4-5 people, at most 10 or so, which means most everything fits my size.

Can't wait to hear some of y'all's suggestions! Thanks

WSM, either 18" or 22" is a solid choice, as is a UDS/Drum. I tend to cook hotter in my Hunsaker drums, but they will run for hours and hold temp very well.

I would also suggest UDS or see if you can find a used Gateway or Hunsaker drum. The PBC also works very well and is what I have.

My WSM has been a great cooker. You can get a 22.5 for under 5 bills. The extra room is worth it in my opinion

I have a cabinet smoker that is just wonderful, but I can't say enough about the WSM. Easy to use, good smoke flavor, and EASY to clean. I would suggest the bigger size because of the versatility. I routinely smoke butts and brisket for 12+ hours but I modified the basket to hold more charcoal.

A WSM is a good cooker. I have used my UDS to cook overnight before. It holds temperatures well and works good! If you are interested in pellet smokers, my Pitboss copperhead is great for long cooks and I trust it to run just fine overnight. I have cooked for 14 or 15 hours on it before.

With your stated requirements and budget, WSM hands down. Either an 18” or 22” is within your budget.
Just depends on how many people you plan on cooking for...

Welcome.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1. 22.5" WSM

2. Pit Barrel Cooker

3. Build a UDS

If you don't have the time to build or mess with a UDS 1 & 2 are your best bets for your budget.

You can do that with your PK. You just can't smoke a lot of meat. I have done butts and packer briskets on mine but it's better for smaller cooks.

So how does a quality UDS, like gateway, hunsaker, or BPS, compared to a WSM? What are the pros and cons there?

Pit Boss 4 series vertical smoker. 40lb hopper. 32+ hours holds pretty decent temp with maybe 15 deg swings + or - $379 at Lowes. Add a Rec Tec pid controller for $199 and you got yourself a damn good smoker for under $600

I too am going to suggest the WSM 22.5. IT is ideal for long smokes, I have held 225* for 14 hrs and that without having to re-stoke; and that was with 4 10lb butts going. The extra real estate makes for covering large / multiple items at a time. At a little over 400.00 it is well worth the price.
I also made a smaller charcoal basket for shorter cooks, and still was able to do 6 racks of ribs.
My only suggestion is to replace the alum door with the after market stainless steel one. The alum one dose not seal as well, but that was my only complaint about the WSM 22.5.
You will be extremely happy with it.

Back