Cook report: Pork loin ribs on pellet (pics)

Johnny in L.A.

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Farkers! I asked for help on Saturday about how to cook these things. I thought I bought them by mistake and wouldn't like them. Well, I've eaten my words (and the ribs). They were great! Mike from Moorpark told me what I needed to hear: stop obsessing and just enjoy. :thumb:

Details:
- Ribs salted (one rack) and rubbed with Oarkridge Beef & Pork (two racks) overnight. The salted rack got Memphis dust before cooking.
- Put on at 250 for four hours, then 275 and 300 for another two hours trying to get them done. Total cook time was six hours.
- Pellets were Bear Mountain Hickory for four hours and CookinPellets Perfect Mix for the last two hours.
- Before pulling them, I sauced one rack twice with Meathead's KC sauce that I made from scratch, and served all with this sauce. Let me tell you, this is great sauce, especially after a few days in the fridge. Not too sweet, loads of complex flavor.
- Doneness was determined by the bend test and a toothpick going in easily.

I pulled the first rack early because we were hungry. But I learned that ribs need to be done in order to taste great. At the end part of the cook, with the higher temps, fat was dripping steadily off the remaining two racks. Not rendering this fat on the first rack made them just ok.

I would have wanted a bit more salt. And, ideally, a touch more smoke. Maybe next time I'll smoke them at 180 with hickory pellets for a couple hours and then raise the temps. But the end result was that they were better than most bbq places except the ones where people like us know where to go. Really, really good and with very little effort.

The ribs out of the package:
picture.php

First rack pulled too soon. I'll start them earlier next time.
picture.php

Too-soon ribs cut up:
picture.php

Pulled after six hours, using bend and toothpick tests. They could have even stayed on for a few minutes longer. Top rack was sauced:
picture.php

Done ribs cut up. Ignore dark areas on bottom rack, that's just the phone shadow:
picture.php

Looks like you are dialing it in !!!!! Spectacular..... Wanting to pull off the smoker early .... been there done that .... patience pays off. Ya want to eat ... It seems I never time it the same way twice ... everyone bugs you .... is it done yet ??? Nope .... Always givde a window based on your experience with the cooker btw ... will you get those again ?

Thanks for the feedback and sage advice, everyone! I love this place. :mrgreen:

I would definitely cook these again. Like darita posted on my cooking-help thread, they're like having a mini-pork chop on each rib. Although not so much that they don't have flavor.

Those came out great! Good pullback on the second set. Love the bark. If you like those loin backs, you'll also like Country Style Ribs, if you haven't already done them. Nice cook.
I have a MAK2 as well. For more smoke flavor, use Lumber Jack or any 100% flavor wood pellets. You'll get plenty of smokiness at the temps you're cooking.

Ribs look great, Johnny! I did a rack of babybacks like that a few weeks ago, and they would have benefited from longer cooking, but time was not on my side so I had to serve them. Still, they were delicious, just a bit more "chew" than I would like.

I prefer my ribs not quite fall off the bone, more like bite off the bone with little resistance. In the past, with meaty ribs like this, I'd finish them in the oven to get them perfect. By that time, the meat has absorbed as much smoke as it can, so putting them in the oven to speed up the process won't impact the flavor.

I've had ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder cook faster than I expected, and sometimes slower than expected. Like the old saying, "It's done when it's done!"

Back