Converted Another Neighbor. That Makes 2 (so far)

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
So I went out yesterday to fire up the Humphrey's, and my next door neighbor was out on his back deck. I looked over and saw that he was messing with a new cooker. I couldn't get a good look at it, but it's a pellet smoker, with a red lid on the pellet hopper. I researched pellet cookers extensively before shifting gears and going with the insulated vertical, but I never saw a pellet smoker with a red lid on the hopper. The rest of the unit appears to be black. So, I'm curious as to what the brand and model is.

Anyway, I think he got tired of smelling Q from my backyard every weekend, and went out and bought himself the new cooker. He asked what I was cooking this time, and I told him it was a few racks of pork ribs. He said "Me too." It was about 1 PM when I fired up the cooker, and I commented about how I never get such a late start for a long cook. He replied, "Yeah, 6 hours for ribs, right?" I told him that was the average for the temp I cook at. At least he's doing his research, and getting decent info. I think what pushed him over the edge and made him make the purchase was the fact that I gave his teenage son a plate of spare rib flap meat that was just enough for their family of 4 to each get a sample. It was hot and fresh, the previous rib cook for me, about a month ago. He didn't tell me I influenced his purchase, but I'm claiming it anyway. He did say the sample plate I sent over was very good, and asked if it was brisket. I told him it was pork, and he thanked me for it.

I can't say I've had the same effect on my neighbors (town home living), I'm always worried about the large amount of smoke that scatters about on start up.. :oops:

My neighbor just placed an order from Owens BBQ for their jerky mix and texted me today with a picture of his new Maverick!

Now we just got to get them signed up as Brethren!

My neighbors are not the friendly type- most times I'm lucky if I get a wave. OTOH- they don't keep odd hours or play loud blaring music and they keep a nice lawn- so I got that going for me.

Congrats on converting a non-smoker! I did a packer brisket for a work buddy- about 7:00 that evening he texted me "soo- how do I go about building my own smoker? I want to be able to do what you just did". Made me smile.

My neighbor just placed an order from Owens BBQ for their jerky mix and texted me today with a picture of his new Maverick!

Now we just got to get them signed up as Brethren!

His name is Paul, and I'll tell him about this site. I can't speak for him, but when I was first starting out, I wouldn't even attempt to cook anything without consulting the wealth of information here. I still check the site when I'm unsure about anything.

We have only lived in our house for a year, and it doesn't seem like myself and this particular neighbor have the same schedules. So I don't see him much. But I do want to check out the pellet cooker he bought.

I will ask him that eventually. I just don't know that I know him well enough for that yet. Maybe the next time I cook... which will probably be butts for pulled Sunday night into Monday. My sister asked me to cook the meat for Labor Day at her house.

Nice work. Have to keep expanding membership . I always check Sunday numbers viewing and it was 2200 mid day. Hope we can boost that to 2500 soon but I'll defer to Brethren leadership on that one :)

Back