Converted 18" Original Kettle To Portable

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
I needed a cooker sized between the Smoky Joe and the 22" kettle. I found the 18" Weber original on line and it was the right size. Ordered one up, tossed the legs and began converting it into a portable table top cooker to do wings, burgers, dogs.

After 3 days of tinkering, it was done. The next day my neighbor came over and showed me a picture of the Weber Jumbo Joe...duh! lol, I had no idea Weber made it in a portable version....:mad:

Well, my version has the Santa Maria accessory, is stable, no folded aluminum legs held together by the ash pan, plus I can always add legs down the road if I want to. On this Santa Maria accessory, I made it so the lid fits over the grate to contain the heat for cheeseburgers, etc.

fLWOB7.jpg

DqFWd1.jpg

2Na1nC.jpg

W2BX1x.jpg

I think you'll be better off with the original kettle size and shape rather than the squashed down shape of the Jumbo Joe.

Cool looking setup. :thumb:

That's a fine looking rig - nicely done

I rescued a jumbo joe when a neighbor moved and left it on the curb. It's turned into my go to grill for most cooks- not too big -not too small.

Not sure if I'd be up to making a Santa Maria adapter - my work is very crude- it functions but is not "oooh and ahhh" worthy like yours.

Let me be the first to say…

HELL YES!!!

Now COOK SOMETHING!!!

Thanks all!
Already grilled some wings on it, but that was before I made the Santa Maria option.
Right kettle and grate size for a couple dozen medium sized wings.
I have Santa Maria's on my Smoky Joe and 22" kettle, great accessory IMO.

Looks great, just bought a SJ for the camper and traveling, love the SM attachment. Thinking of buying or making 1 for my Performer

Back