Competition Confusion

BlueBQ

This weekend we competed in our first ever KCBS comp (3rd comp ever for us as we just started doin this in the spring). We did not like the way the meat turned out and attributed that to nerves. The ribs seemed a bit mushy and seemed to be lacking some flavor compared to our practice cooks. We forgot some ingrediants for our brisket injection and we completely forgot to sauce the pork. The confusion comes in due to the fact that we got three calls and took 10th in brisket, 9th in ribs, and 7th in sausage. So were our practice cooks off or was our comp cook off and we could have placed higher had we of cooked like our practice cooks? Confused as to which way to cook in our next comp. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't compete, so take this as you will. Many of the competitors say not to change anything for at least 3 contests. With the placings you had you probably shouldn't change anything for now. Many teams talk about when they think their food is awful, getting a call, and when they think it is great the judges don't. It can drive you crazy if you are chasing it all over, just keep tweaking a little bit and see what the results are.

Mind you, there are serious regional differences, but around here un-sauced pork does as well (if it's still flavorful) as sauced; sometimes better. Brisket can be over-injected IMHO, so it may've been merciful. Then again, who knows how well you might've done "your way"; might've won the thing...

The difference is you weren't in the judging tent for your contest like you were for your practice cooks. The lesson to be learned here is that it really doesn't matter what you like, only what the judges like.

imagine in your head a cartoon of a judge at a competition with this as the caption:

"Appearance is good, I'll give it an eight. texture is great, I'll give it a nine, but it's just too damn delicious so i'll give it a seven!!!"

...and well there you go!

First, congratulations on your calls!

Second, There's just no telling. It could be your food is be better than you think...I know on my team we are our own toughest critics. Don't react to an extreme one way or another...the same turn ins could finish a lot higher or a lot lower next week...try to be consistent until you can get a good baseline.

Third, seriously consider a packing list, and go through it in detail before you leave home. EVERY TIME! ;-)

Good luck!

Nice calls, Congrats! I should have came over an introduced myself.
Like some of said, it is really hard to cook practice comps at home. You can get your timing and temps down but it's hard to hit flavors until you get it by some judges.
And the saying always goes, if you don't like your stuff, the judges will love it.

Ray

I wouldn't change anything for your next cook! See what your scores are then.
Could be you are spot on even though you think different. You are cooking to the judge's taste, not your own. Might have hit the Table of Angels, maybe not.
Like Hance said - unsauced pork scores pretty good in the southeast.
Congrats on the calls!

Thank you for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated. The checklist will be implemented for sure!

Smokehouse, great job on your calls this weekend. Hopefully we can meet in a future comp.

Back