THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Okay I am looking at a trailer for comps and my catering. I am limited on a size trailer I can fit in the driveway or garage but I have this quoted currently... Good or Bad?
Gatormade trailers made here in my home town of Somerset KY.

6x12
tandem axle
brakes on both axles
v-nose
4 foot porch (will have my BWS Competitor mounted on back) and later may add another additional smoker as well (Assassin maybe)
side door (RV latch)
steel floor on the porch area
single back door
electrical package - 2 outlets, 2 4ft lights, breaker box and life line
Braced for AC unit to mount later
_ TOTAL -
$4240

Pending on your weather you may want a heat source How high is it Some people like extra height Make dsure the floor has a non slip substance

I would add wipe down walls (vinyl or aluminum), probably cheaper to add on a special order than do yourself.

Don't forget your vending window. My comp/vending trailer was made by Gatormade in Somerset KY about 5 years ago. 8.5x20, 8 ft. Porch on the back for my stickburner. It's been a good trailer. I had them install the vinyl flooring, finished walls and ceiling , and vending window. Make sure you get the electric outlets installed higher on the wall, I didn't specify and they are standard low height.

Have you looked at, or actually walked on a trailer that has a 4' porch? I just looked at a fellow brethren's comp trailer last weekend. He had an 8' porch. Walking on and in the trailer made the decision for us to go with an 8' porch.

IMO, 4' just would not be enough.

wallace

Have you looked at, or actually walked on a trailer that has a 4' porch? I just looked at a fellow brethren's comp trailer last weekend. He had an 8' porch. Walking on and in the trailer made the decision for us to go with an 8' porch.

IMO, 4' just would not be enough.

wallace
To answer the question on porch size. Yes I have looked but as stated I am limited on trailer size I can fit cumfortable at our new home.
I am about maxed out with this one. 4 comps a year and some on site catering? Beats the uhaul I have been renting..... I HOPE!!!!

Don't forget your vending window. My comp/vending trailer was made by Gatormade in Somerset KY about 5 years ago. 8.5x20, 8 ft. Porch on the back for my stickburner. It's been a good trailer. I had them install the vinyl flooring, finished walls and ceiling , and vending window. Make sure you get the electric outlets installed higher on the wall, I didn't specify and they are standard low height.

Point noted on outlets thanks for advice.

Make sure you specify Dexter axles. A lot of makers will use Chinese units to keep the price low, but you *will* be sorry when they bend or seize and leave you on the side of the road.

My own trailer is a 6x12 V-nose. There is no extra room, but it is a ton easier/cheaper to pull than the 8x20 we used to have. Nice thing about the six foot width is you can see around it without extension mirrors. The porch is really going to make it tight though. Have you considered cooking off the gate? A bit more setup, but you'll be adding a whole lot more space.

if the trailer is a total of 16 feet long then dual axles are fine but if it is only 12 feet total length you may have a problem with bouncing unless you load it heavy. I had a short trailer with dual axles one time and it bounced all over the place when it had a light load on it. I payed 3800.00 for my 7x16 v nose but does not have the porch. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I have a 6x12 with a concession window and while it works fine if I had it to do over I would have went with an 8' wide model. It gets tight in there because its only something like 5' 8" in reality. That extra few feet is a world of difference.

With that said we still fit a queen size air mattress in the back part and I still have room to work in the front while my fam sleeps. Its tight but it works for us for now.

Back