Chicken Thigh Question

Mrshaunyd

Knows what a fatty is.
So now that I have my first comp under my belt, we are gonna take a couple months to practice some of the other meats mainly thighs since I have no experience with it really.

From what I have seen and read, it seems to be the most tedious as far as prep. I have one question regarding this though and would like some input from here. Is knuckle better on or off for competition or is this just a matter of preference?

Averaging 8.7 on appearance with the knuckle on this year. I don't think it is worth cutting it off.

I don’t think it matters to the judges either way. We cut it off, but mainly because our preferred presentation looks better with smaller thighs.

Chicken certainly is the most tedious for prep! We always used to cut off the knuckle. The last few contests I did I stopped cutting. No noticeable difference in scores. In fact, I had my best chicken finish without cutting the knuckle. It just changes how you are going to shape the thighs, but you can work around that.

If you cut off the knuckles, make sure there are no bone splinters in the meat. Some judges don't like bone splinters in a chicken bite.

Then they need to learn to bite it from the side.:shocked:

I've turned them in both ways, might get a extra 9 on appearance on a tuff table, but most tables it doesn't matter.

Although thighs tend to win more frequently might want to consider legs as well. They are way easier to prep. I can prep 20 legs in half the time it takes me to prep 16 thighs.

One thing for us judges to remember, although lollipop and cupcake chicken is a novelty and not particularly your favorite...your job is only to score how well the cook cooked and presented his/her entry.
Leave your likes and dislikes in the car before entering the judges area.
Ed

Agree completely, and when I judge (admittedly, rarely), I try to do the same.

The corollary to your comment is that teams, if they do not wish to rely on judges leaving their likes and dislikes in the car, should take steps to avoid incorporating characteristics into their turn-in boxes that might trigger a less-diligent judge's unconscious biases. For better or worse, cupcake chicken thighs are one such thing. Not sure about lollipop legs, but they're probably more likely to trigger an unconscious bias than regular legs. But teams have won with them and will likely do so in the future.

To be responsive to the OP, standard thighs, with either one knuckle cut or no knuckle cut, probably do not trigger any unconscious bias. :thumb:

I stopped taking the knuckle off after I had a couple of bleeders. I bag my trimmed chicken and put it in a cooler. Pulled it 12 hours later and there was blood all over the thighs in both bags. Had my worst chicken score of the year. Since then, knuckles have stayed on. If anything, I shave it half off. Thinking of trying legs. I love the way they look.

Back