Can you use live oak in the smoker?

It will take 18+ months to properly season fresh cut live oak. It can be some twisted, knotty wood making it tough to split without a powered splitter.

Real good stuff when it is seasoned though.

Live oak is what I buy from my wood supplier. It's seasoned and cut to splits already which are the right size. Good smoking wood.

Better check with your city or county before cutting them down to see if you need a permit.

In some areas of Florida it's illegal to cut down a large live oak.

If your live Oaks are as big as mine you will have wood for years from 1 tree. You may want to cut one or a few at a time. It's almost a shame to cut them down. We had to cut a few to build our house.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Guess I'm gonna be busy, if the rain stops. They're just scrub trees biggest I'm cutting is 4 inches thick. Lots of smaller ones.

Live oak is what I buy from my wood supplier. It's seasoned and cut to splits already which are the right size. Good smoking wood.

Better check with your city or county before cutting them down to see if you need a permit.

In some areas of Florida it's illegal to cut down a large live oak.

Our county doesn't care about small stuff. Now go to gulf breeze and they are strict. Something about George Washington planting the first trees for Naval use.

Back