Can my New Braunfels offset be saved? (pics)

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all - long story short, this was given to me by a friend several years ago just before he passed at an early age from cancer. It kickstarted me into smoking, but I've never had an easy time with it; I would always burn to death whatever was close to the firebox, and even things far from the firebox would get charred and dry out quickly. Temps were wildly uneven.

I've since realized that it REALLY needs a baffle - and a water pan! Meanwhile I got an MES (lovingly referred to as the Easy-Bake) and I've been just using that since it's so idiot-proof. BUT - my longing for True Smoke Flavor simply grows ever-stronger.

So today I opened her up to see about having a baffle made, and now I see that there's a pretty good hole rusting in the firebox. I've got a guy who does mobile welding - think this is repairable? Is it worth it?

Here's the whole thing in her current state:

JKycEll.jpg

Hole in the firebox (in the side up against the smoker), and yes, looks like something made a nest in there at some point in the past:

6SVxjKF.jpg

Here's my FANTASTIC attempt at a baffle (worked slightly)

NhReDo2.jpg

RV2LW6d.jpg

What do you all think? Would having a welder fix that wall of the firebox and put in a baffle bring this old girl back to life and finally make it a good cooker?

Sure appreciate the wisdom, all!

I restored a New Braunfels just like yours but it was mostly surface rust with moderate pitting in the firebox. I had it sand blasted but I'm afraid yours wouldn't hold up to that. If it's sentimental I'm sure you can have metal added but is it worth it? Looks like the firebox has hole rusted all the way through. It's a bolt on firebox that can be purchased but I think if you tried removing it would break off part of the cook chamber too. I hate to say it but I think she's gone.

I hate to break it to you but, it is too far gone to be a practical repair and the cost of repair will exceed the value of the smoker.

Now, if money isn't a big concern, it can be rehabbed but, not in a financially reasonable way IMHO.

To begin with to weld new metal in you have to have metal to weld to. Ya can't weld rust.

Absolutely! These are relatively thin so, removing the rust likely doesn't leave anything to weld to so, you are essentially rebuilding "from scratch" with a project like this.

If you buy or build a new firebox to bolt onto the smoker, it likely lacks the integrity to support the weight without buckling the wall of the cook chamber.

To begin with to weld new metal in you have to have metal to weld to. Ya can't weld rust.
Yep. Such a large section would have to be cut out and reformed that it really wouldn't be practical unless it's sentimental family heirloom and money isn't an issue.

Well I'm grateful to have yalls wisdom before I had a welder come out! I can appreciate that she's just too far gone. Which is too bad - this is no COS!! It's nice and thick and served my buddy for quite some years, but I can accept that it's time for a proper Christian burial.

So.........anybody have any good suggestions for a replacement? I seriously considered a pellet pooper last week due to it being easy but I just love real smoke flavor and can't seem to hardly ever get enough - anybody have any recommendations for something else? Another offset? Open to all ideas - thanks again, Brethren!!

if you can weld or have a friend who welds - Maybe. Not worth paying for sand blasting and a welder.......

I patched up a Bandera in Worse shape - but I did it with a Buddy who Welds and had a welder/plasma cutter and we took some scrape plate end cuts and flap discs from work ......... cost me Zero $ just Time.

If you want to squeeze the last bit of life out of it, you can still use it over the winter as a cold smoke chamber. Any of the pellet smoke tubes will do wonders on cheeses, etc.

Well I'm grateful to have yalls wisdom before I had a welder come out! I can appreciate that she's just too far gone. Which is too bad - this is no COS!! It's nice and thick and served my buddy for quite some years, but I can accept that it's time for a proper Christian burial.

So.........anybody have any good suggestions for a replacement? I seriously considered a pellet pooper last week due to it being easy but I just love real smoke flavor and can't seem to hardly ever get enough - anybody have any recommendations for something else? Another offset? Open to all ideas - thanks again, Brethren!!

Throw out a budget idea first, or you will get recommended a 500 gallon offset on a trailer.

I agree with others this is too far gone. Looked at your other post and you mentioned burning meats near the firebox...this is the reason I chose a reverse flow offset Shirley 24 X 36. Shirley is one of the very top fabricators out there and prices are great...and the cooker will last a lifetime!

I had that exact model, did all the recommended mods and while it worked better, it still was temperamental, It started rusting out so I finally rolled it to the road and a scrap guy took it.
I'm afraid yours is worse then that one...on the plus side, scrap value is up! :-D

Back