Can I smoke with this wood?

B4tn

Got Wood.
I found it from a recently cut tree next to a sign that said free wood. I’m doing a pork shoulder and a chuck roast tomorrow. I have my usual mix of apple and hickory chunks but really want to try an oak log in my UDS. I’m pretty sure it’s oak but I have no idea how long the tree was down or how green it is. Would it be ok to use a log if i trim the bark off before hand? Or should I stick with my hickory apple mix?
7597db3621eb49e50bc70fd1f68bc625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger piece with the checks (cracks) in the wood it's ready to use. The smaller log doesn't show signs of drying unless the saw marks are hiding them.

The smaller log doesn't show signs of drying unless the saw marks are hiding them.
Looks that way to me too. What I've done with green wood that I wanted to use soon was to cut into disks and either spread them out on a hot asphalt drive or put them in an oven with a pilot light. That will accelerate the drying process. If your smoker has horizontal heated surfaces, I'd stack a few on that and then use them for the next cook.

I'm thinking wood chunks to mix with charcoal in a WSM. If you're using a stick burner, my advice might not be good.

My drive gets up to 140° on hot sunny summer days.

I agree that the bigger piece appears ready to use. I have used some "greener" wood in small pieces. I just made sure I used very little and added it to a hot fire. Not sure what kind of cooker you are using but small splits dry pretty quick when placed on top of a hot fire box. If you see a lot of sap boiling out when heating them up, save them for the next cook. Sorry, I reread the post and see you are using an UDS. Hard to see what's going on with the wood in one of those so you may want to save the greener wood for next time

Last edited:
Back