camper for camping and competition

smithjefm

Found some matches.
Looking to see what people are using for campers for competition BBQ. My current set up is a 12 foot enclosed trailer that has a bed that flips out to the side. While this works well for competing it is only OK at best when we use it for camping with our 2 kids. Since we do only a handful of competitions and go camping 3-4 year it would be nice to have something that works for both. Been looking at some of the smaller toy haulers but they don’t seem to be much better than what we already have. Smaller campers look OK but wonder how everything will fit in there. Currently I cook on 2 drums and 2 WSM’s so they are relatively easy to move around. Just wondering how easy it is to get drums in and out of the camper door.

It is give and take unless one moves into a 40' toy hauler with garage.

There are plenty of smaller toy haulers out there though that based on your cookers would fit the bill nicely. Jayco, Gray Wolf, Wolf Pack, etc.

Only have one cook in my new Wolf Pack, so some adjusting is still taking place from my dedicated 19' BBQ trailer, but the trade off is great for me at this point. Of course, one thing led to another so it went, change trailers, change truck, change smokers. :shocked:

We have a Work & Play 21UL toyhauler. The back is a ramp, so we just roll the pits out and cook under the awning. It works great for us and our two kids. There's a queen bed in the nose and the "garage" converts to living space once the pits are out. Ours has a dinette that folds down into a bed. There's room for a fold down sofa as well, but we setup our prep table in that area. You could also add a HappiJack if you wanted bunks. The box is 8.5' x 21'. Total length with the tongue is 26'. I consider it the best of both worlds.

UPDATE: This isn't my exact unit, but it's the same make/model. Our garage area is configured differently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdWBtNtH0iU

I'm with Jason on the toyhauler, it gives you more flexibility on what you cook on. You can maybe get the cans in and out of the RV door, but you will get tired of doing it. With the ramp, you can throw in anything from a Backwoods to a Jambo. One big consideration on mine was having sleeping quarters still available when fully loaded for a comp. We usually head out on Thursday night if we are driving more than 4 or 5 hours and a lot of toy haulers have the 'master suite' in the garage. Mine is a 27ul 5th wheel Work & Play. I have a rear awning and usually cook on the ramp. My current setup is a Jambo Backyard, FEC, and 1 can.

i am currently in the process of building out our competition setup. I have not seen anyone with this idea yet, but here is what i am doing.

I got a Slide in camper (adventurer 80S) for my truck bed that has all the amenities I would need, AC, Shower, Queen Bed , Bathroom, TV and etc. (That was phase 1)

I am going to get a small 6X12 trailer just to setup a small prep kitchen and place to haul my smoker that will be towed behind my truck. My plan is to just put the ramp down and support with jack stands to make a porch for my smoker. Put a 10X10 over it and be done. My camper has a hot water heater and outside shower hookups, I am planning on removing the shower hookup and just put garden hose fitting on so I can run hot / cold water from the outside shower hookups to the trailer sink. I have a full shower inside the camper, so I don't think i'll ever use the outside shower other than for rinsing stuff off.

My goal was to keep the trailer light and maneuverable so its easy to get in and out of spaces and make sure I comfortably fit inside the comp area.

In my design was trying to minimize setup / tear down time at a comp and also store all my bbq stuff in the trailer so I don't have to worry about packing and unpacking for every comp. It will all be in the trailer ready to go when I want to go, just add meat, garnish and Ice!

I have other uses for the truck camper other than BBQ, so that drove my idea as well. It may not be the right solution for everyone, plus I already had a truck setup for the camper.

We have a Keystone Fuzion toyhauler. It is 30' with a 10' garage. Total length with tongue is 34'. We compete with 2 Humphrey's Smokers and a WSM. The rear ramp door makes loading and unloading much easier. The garage has 2 queen bunks on a Happijac lift. The lower bunk was removed and we have 2 fold down stainless steel tables attached to the Happijac rails. Using the garage as a prep area makes life easier when the elements are harsh.

We use a Fun Finder 276xtra. It's basically a 27 ft box. It's a little over 30 ft from ball to bumper. We like ours because it has separation from the garage and the living quarters in the form of a bathroom. Our garage is 9ft and easily fits my GC28, double cambro and tables and coolers I need for set up. I mounted a winch in mine to aid loading and unloading. Ours has a queen bed up front, a large booth that makes a bed and a queen bed that raises and lowers in the garage.

Once we get a competition I unload a smoker, cambro and 1 table and place them under my awning. That leaves my garage empty to set up a table and use it for meat prep and final box building etc..

That being said, we are in the process of having a porch trailer built to mount a GC42 with a full bath and double size bunk beds that will be equipped to vend and compete. With kids I would suggest the garage that is separate from the sleeping area. When I get up I can do whatever I need to in the garage and not disturb my families sleep.

Class A Toy Haulers (Newmar, Thor) work great as well. If you can find a used one, you can get a price that's competitive with a trailer, you won't have to tow, and it's going to be much better for just camping. I use the Newmar, and it can sleep up to 9.

I’ve tossed around a lot of ideas of what I’d like to upgrade to some day. Like you, I got two kids and a wife that I’d like to tag along to comps more often. But I need something that lets everyone else sleep while I’m up early to prep on cook day. In looking at toy hauler models I’ve found two that look like the best option for what I need: Jayco 272 and Forest River Vengeance 28V. These are the only two bumper pull toy haulers that I’ve found to have a master bed for me and the mrs. and bunks for the kids. Then I can keep the garage delicated as my comp kitchen and not have to give that space up for a bed.

Back