Butt On The Akorn Jr.

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
Finally got around to running a test smoke on my Akorn Jr. Sunday. I've done a few grills but not any smoking. I pulled it out form the side of the house and noticed there was about 1/2" standing water in the ash bowl and the grate was starting to get rusty. I guess it leaks through the daisy wheel? Cleaned and oiled everything up and got it ready for smoking.

Smoked a Swift 8 lb. butt, barely fit in the cooker. Full load of lump and started with a small fire starter. Monitored the temps throughout with a Maverick. Maintained temps from 275 - 300, 8 hour smoke.

I had the intake about 1/4" to 1/2" open and the daisy wheel exhaust about 1/4". She runs hot, reacts to adjustments quickly like a UDS and burned about 1/2 the lump.

Overall, pleased with this little smoker. Butt had excellent flavor and a great bark. One of my better ones. :thumb:

The extended legs helps my aching back and the side shelf held the Maverick, pans, etc. A perfect sized cooker for two. :thumb:

PvDvM7.jpg

DYSUV7.jpg

This is one very fine cook. Very nice pics. I'm certain this was one tasty butt. Kudos!

You have proved my point that the Akorn Jr. Is the cooker every Akorn is supposed to be. If I needed a micro cooker, I'd be the Akorn Jr. Nicely done.

Back