Building A Gravity Fed Cabinet Smoker - Rate Your Favorite Cabinet Feature

I_Use_The_Force

Got Wood.
Hi Guys/Gals,

After years on a vision kamado, it's time to upgrade. Not having a couple grand to throw into a professionally made cabinet, I figured I'd make my own while trying to keep the build under $1k (which already includes a partially insulated shell).

Two things:
A) If you own a cabinet, please include your cabinet's make/model or a photo.
B) I'm a total noob on cabinet smokers, so if I left out your favorite feature of your cabinet, please add it in your comments.

Here's a list of things I plan on incorporating into my build:

Structural
Total Size: 50"
Cook Chamber: 30" Tall x 24" Wide x 26" Deep (Access Door: 26" Tall x 20" Wide)
Fire Box & Water Pan: 18" Tall x 24" Wide x 26" Deep (Access Door: 14" Tall x 20" Wide)
Separate Firebox / Cook Chamber Access Doors w/ Cross Bracing & Insulation
Vented Water Pan - Basically the water pan will be almost like a shelf with 6-8 2" vents cut in between to allow smoke/heat to pass directly through.
Water Hose Hookup
Water Pan Drain Ball Valve
Single 3" Square Chimney
Rotisserie (worth it or not?)
Trigger Latch
Accessory Rack For Grill Utensils, Gloves, Towels, Spray Bottle (any accessories I'm forgetting?)
Fold Out Shelf
Firebox Trap Door Underneath For Easy Clean Up
2 Heavy Duty Racks w/ Pull Out Handles - 19.5" Wide x 24" Deep (Should be able to do 6-8 butts would be my guess)
Control Panel
Diamond Plate
Digital Temp Ports
Analog Thermometer
4 Heavy Duty Tie Downs
Transport Brace For Doors
Transport Handles

Electronics
BBQ Guru
LCD Temp Displays

If you are getting older like I am, and are planning on loading it onto a trailer by yourself, add a large D ring low on the side of the cooker. This will allow you to attach a winch hook and make loading/unloading easier and safer. I would not be able to load my Deep South GC28 or comp teams Backwoods Pro Jr without them.

Allen

Just make sure you use 1/2 inch thick steel for your charcoal chute where the fire burns. You can use 1/4 inch for the rest of the chute, but where it it the hottest, you have to go very thick. Anything less than that could be an issue as it was on many of the earlier gravity feeds made. That is what Deep South uses. Also, his charcoal chute is 8 inches by 8 inches so bridging isn't an issue. I also love that the firebox is big enough to use decent sized splits. Actually if I had to do it again I would go for the bigger firebox that can burn full splits. It's a $750 add on for Deep South but you get a 12 by 12 firebox which allows you to use it as a stick burner or gravity feed.

Back