THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brewerjamie15

Full Fledged Farker
There's something seriously wrong with me now. I was out in my shop this evening listening to some tunes and cleaning up. I came across an old metal tool box which is not being used and has not been for a long time.
I set the box on the shelf of my currently being modified further Brinkman Smoke n Pit and turned toward my workbench. I stopped in mid turn and thought "this could be turned into a smoker." This must be a sign of sickness.
I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try. It's a small box, 19" long, 6" tall, and 6" deep. I obviously could not fit much in there, maybe try smoking some hunks of cheese. Figuring out the fire is a bit of a stumbling block right now. I think I'll perhaps put the fire (a few coals and a couple wood chips) inside the box. I will probably drill a few holes on the side of the box and then create an adjustable baffle for air intake.
Recreating the idea of what is on my firebox right now seems logical, so I'll use the lid of a soup can and screw it to the side to cover the holes. This idea needs more thought.
I need to clean the box and repaint it, perhaps line the inside with foil.
I don't know, like I said, this is a neat idea but needs work. I can't see the temp ever getting too high, but that's ok.
Any ideas out there?
What's the oddest thing you thought of turning into a smoker? Ever do it?
Stay tuned. I do believe I'm going to do this.

Funny, I was just looking at my 2 gallon air compressor thinking the same thing...

Besides, they sell air at the gas station right?

Jeff

haha, I do the same thing...too much smoke on the brain.

I'm underway with this little baby. I have some stuff thought out and have some of the initial build started. I have the thing burned out and taken apart. I have stripped the paint that would come off and I am ready to start a new paint job.

abc004.jpg

abc017.jpg

That's a large metal coffee can for the firebox. The smoke stack is a piece of 3/4 inch pipe I made cuts in the metal with a scroll saw and a metal bit. I used a drill bit to pilot hole the fire box and have used screws with washers and bolts. All stainless steel fasteners no galvanized anything.

abc018.jpg

abc021.jpg

Burn out and stripped pictures coming soon.

every time i'm on the highway and i see a gas tanker with the rounded ends go by i say to myself "i'd like to make a smoker out of one of those things". your prodject looks really cool!

I'm underway with this little baby. I have some stuff thought out and have some of the initial build started. I have the thing burned out and taken apart. I have stripped the paint that would come off and I am ready to start a new paint job.

abc021.jpg

Burn out and stripped pictures coming soon.

Would it not be better to make the opening on the top where the can connects to the tool box that way the rising heat transfers to the cooking chamber rather than the ash sliding in?
Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Dr KY

I hadn't really figured ash would slide in. I was going to add a small heat baffle to direct the heat downward on the smoker side of the firebox at the opening.
I hope your suggestion does not come back to bite me or I'm going to have to maybe reconfigure something.
What I could do since I was going to add a small "shelf" for the fire to keep the wood chips out of ash. I can put a small tin in front of the ash.
I may have made a mistake by putting the hole below the fire, but we'll see. If so, I can just adjust that by cutting more sheet metal away.

Thanks for the tip

I'm back from vacation and have been getting ready to go check out 'The Big Pig Gig' in Menomonee Falls, WI. Thoughts being of BBQ, I wandered out the the garage (my shop) to work on the tool box smoker.
I have a few little odds and ends to take care of, and some should pop up with a use or two. Mostly, I'm happy with the results. I thinks it's a neat little toy. Nothing you could cook a meal out of by any means, just small stuff.
I am thinking of using it to smoke hunks of cheese or pecans. Maybe even make one of those Moink thing-a-ma-bobs. So, keep in mind when looking at this thing it's a first for me. I've never seen one this size before, and surely not one made of a tool box.

madesmoker001.jpg

madesmoker002.jpg

Notice the latches that would hold the lid closed while carrying the box. They now hold the door closed, the locking clasp has been filed down so it will not lock. I attached a weber thermometer I borrowed from another smoker.

madesmoker003.jpg

The top shelf you see is actually a coffee can that has been cut and folded to fit. The shelves are held up by threaded rod which has washers and nuts on the inside and outside of the smoking chamber which I believe will add strength.

madesmoker005.jpg

I made the firebox out of an old metal coffee can. I'm not sure of the size off hand. I am most likely going to address the ash issue in one of two ways. 1) make a small shelf for the coals and drill holes for the ash to fall through. 2) forget the shelf, drill holes in the bottom of the firebox.

I have to address a heat baffle if not just for heat, but for ash. I lit three small wood chunks and put them into the firebox. Ash got into the smoke chamber a bit. I need to build feet of some sort so I can open the door easier. I have to make a door for the firebox. I think I have a solution which I will show you soon.

Back