Buffalo Chicken Breasts & Spicy Breaded Thighs

Old Dave

Full Fledged Farker
This cook was done on my Cobb Supreme using my two new proto-type dome extensions from the good folks at Cobb International and my new raised second cooking grid setup.

IMG_1479.jpg

My meal was this blazing hot Buffalo chicken breast with one of the baked potatoes, green beans, and some salad stuff.

IMG_1481.jpg

The Wife's meal was one of the spicy breaded and crunchy chicken thighs. Served with some new potatoes and green beans and some salad stuff.

IMG_1460.jpg

I built this second raised grid with an additional Supreme roasting rack, some carriage bolts, fender washers, lock washers and nuts.

This will work for large pieces of meat like maybe a pork butt at about 9 pounds on the bottom layer and then another pork butt or maybe a brisket on the top layer. I can see in excess of 20 pounds in one cook on the Supreme with this new setup.

IMG_1455.jpg

The cooker assembled and ready to be carried out to my cooking patio.

IMG_1461.jpg

The first job was to trim the meat. For the breading, I made an egg wash with eggs and milk, and then made up my breading using flour, cornmeal, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, white pepper, and some cayenne pepper.

IMG_1462.jpg

After the chicken was breaded, I placed it into the fridge for about 90 minutes to help set the breading on the chicken. Total weight of this cook was slightly over 8 pounds.

IMG_1466.jpg

As with all my setups, I like to be able to load them all up in the kitchen and then carry them out to my hot cooker. I have some extra thermometers on this cook as it was my first cook with the setup and need to know what to expect with the two layer cooking.

IMG_1468.jpg

I used a full load of all hardwood briquets for this cook. I also added 7-8 more briquets during the cook. Total cooking time was a little over two hours.

IMG_1470.jpg

Food just going on my hot Cobb Supreme.

IMG_1473.jpg

Just one beautiful morning for cooking outside with the ambient at about 55F degrees and the sun a shining.

IMG_1475.jpg

At 55 minutes into the cook, the thighs which were on the bottom layer were done and removed from the cooker. I removed the top grid and finished up my Buffalo breasts on the bottom layer in a pan to make for easy cleanup. At this point, they were glazed with a super hot and spicy sauce that had much more cayenne pepper in it.

IMG_1476.jpg

Just off of the Cobb Supreme. The large breasts averaged about 1.30 pounds each and the thighs averaged 3/4 pound each.

IMG_1480.jpg

This was the largest breast half and it weighed about a pound and a half. Way too much to eat at one meal but I did the best I could!

IMG_1482.jpg

Anxious to try the thighs I made for the wife..sure looks good.

Back