Brrr... Chilly out, time for chili.

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Did you know there is a month long Chili/Soups/Stews Throwdown going on? In the 30's today, so it's a good time for the first batch of chili for the season.

Gather up some chile's... Ancho, Anaheim, banana, cubanelle, red jalapeno & red habanero's.

MJxmQ17h.jpg

Normally don't do this, but let's give it a go. Ground beef & ground pork chunked up, onto a frogmat and into the FEC for some smoke.

MqZNCdvh.jpg

Have some kosher salt I've been smoking, still not quite enough smoke for my liking, so that goes in as well to get some more smoke on.

74oyDNvh.jpg

Dice up all them chiles and make sure to taste them all, heat level varies, red jalapenos & red habs much milder than I thought they'd be. All the mild/medium go in along with a few hot ones, then most likely add some more hot ones later on if needed to adjust the heat level.

e9DPrS5h.jpg

Bit of smoke on the meat, maybe this'll be a new thing for my chili... :noidea:

nzYEOKFh.jpg

Oh oh, almost out of San Antonio Red chili powder, but still plenty of Cowtown Gold...

smETztQh.jpg

D67gsMBh.jpg

Cook up the meat, onion, garlic & chili powder in batches...

rJtmG6ph.jpg

6qiobXBh.jpg

Q4Xxe9Zh.jpg

And into the chili pot...

TjO7yZvh.jpg

Add all the chiles & a can of crushed tomatoes, don't worry, you won't even know the 'maters are in there...

OX3p54Wh.jpg

Add the rest of everything, beer, bourbon, paprika (it's a chile, so it's legal), cumin, beef bouillon cubes, bittersweet chocolate (not as weird as you'd think). NO BEANS, we're making a chili not a stew :becky: and let it simmer away for a while...

7US5QV2h.jpg

Back in a while to check on the seasoning/spiciness level...

You really put the Chile in the chili. :thumb:

Tomatoes are just about necessary but they shouldn't be overdone. Nice work.

Looks and sounds great I manually crush the whole tomatoes from cans for my chili I also like beans :grin: I would love a bowl of yours

Back