Brisket flat in the Copperhead 5

dward51

Full Fledged Farker
First go at a brisket in the Copperhead 5. I wanted a whole packer, but Sam's was out. They did have some cryovac flats so I got a 6 pounder. I know flats can be a pain to cook and some will say grind it for burgers, but I'm going to give it a try.

Since I'm wanting to keep this from drying out as much as I can, I will be using the water pan for this smoke (I usually do not). Raised it up slightly on the rack holes though. I am also using a foiled full size disposable pan as both a drip/grease catch and a heat baffle a couple of rack holes above the water pan. Brisket is fat side down. I trimmed the flat a little last night to get the fat cap to 1/4 to 3/8" and hit it with SPOG and a Texas beef style rub before wrapping it and placing in the fridge overnight.

Vacuumed out the fire pot and ash from the last smoke, and loaded up with about 30 lbs of Hickory pellets for this smoke. I'm going to run the brisket flat at the 225* setting for a while to give it time to soak up some smoke flavor and keep it from drying out as much as it might on a higher temp smoke.

Brisket flat is on the smoker, about mid level in the racks. Right side tends to run a tad hotter than the left so the thicker end of the brisket goes to the right.

I70Ggvbh.jpg

I know people complain about the temp swings in these pellet smokers. What matters is the temp where the meat is. The display is showing the temp of the probe which is under the water pan and close to the fire pot. Yes it will swing there as it is a fire for heat source and it is stoked up and smolders in a constant cycle around the set point. So like everyone else, I do see the 25-35* swing on the display temp. HOWEVER!!!!!! My temps at the food level are very stable. If I'm set at 225*, it's at 225* on my grate thermometer and my Tel-Tru I added to the door (I took the Pit Boss logo off and put in a BQ225 dial thermometer). So while the display is doing the swing thing around the set point (reading the fire pot temp as it is stoked up or smolders down in the normal cycles), the meat temps are rock solid and I'm not really seeing any swings at all.

f3SAA6Th.jpg

OA25u0th.jpg

Looks like you are putting a lot more thought/work into your Copperhead than than I have. Never thought about checking the grate temp during the cook. I might have one of those tiny therms laying around somewhere. Too bad the 5" won't fit as I have 2 of those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you pull the Pit Boss emblem off (there is a wing nut on the back), there is a 3" recess that looks like there should be a dial thermometer option. But the hole is about 1/2". The problem is all the 3" Tel-Tru dial thermometers have 1/2" NPT mounting studs which require a 7/8" hole. The glass is tempered and will shatter if we try to drill it out to a 7/8".

I could not find anyone who made a 3" dial thermometer with 3/8" NPT mounting threads (should fit a 1/2" hole). So I went with the 2" which has 1/4" threads. I reused the gasket from the emblem, and it seems to work fine.

Flat is at 158*, I decided to just foil it and be done. Double wrap on the foil. We had some button mushroom caps that I needed to use, so I sliced them up and put under the brisket. Out of beef broth, but a little bit of Moore's Marinade will have to do (not too much). Put the Solais Bluetooth probe in and now we wait. Cranking the pit to 350* since smoke is no longer an issue. Will probe when we get around 203-204'ish.

Ended up pulling at 207*, and I finished at 300* and not 350* as I previously thought I would do. Took a little more time to get the thick side to probe to my liking. I think that end of this flat was perhaps a little leaner, but who knows. After letting it rest for 50 minutes, this is what we had:

0Ti4eaCh.jpg

No problems getting a smoke ring in the PB5 either. This was over Pit Boss hickory pellets. This is after cutting the thicker side (yes I pre-scored the corner so I would know which way the grain ran). Moist, tender, and just the right amount of smoke and spice flavor. For a small flat, I'd say this worked well as it was not dry at all. I ended up eating the thin end and to me it had the best bark and flavor overall.

SsQwgPgh.jpg

The wife did some small smashed Yukon Gold potatoes, and these are the mushrooms I sliced and put under the brisket to cook. Plated and ready to go....

SkUFD4dh.jpg

Looks great. When I originally played with the 5 i had one of my probes on the lower shelf and one on the top shelf. For the most part they were within 5-10 degrees of each other.

Back