Brisket - First Cook on the MAK 1 Star

Looks like a success. Recently ruined a cook by using the bottom grate. Pretty surprised they didn’t figure that one out a little better. Meat was like balsa wood. Never using the bottom rack again unless it’s for grilling!

Looks like a success. Recently ruined a cook by using the bottom grate. Pretty surprised they didn’t figure that one out a little better. Meat was like balsa wood. Never using the bottom rack again unless it’s for grilling!

That's concerning, what temps were you cooking at? I found the top rack to be 10-20* hotter than what was reported by the built in thermometer. The gap seemed to widen with higher temps as well. For example I was seeing a 10 degree difference set at 225, and 20+ at 290. That info was gathered from a smokex.

Man! That looks killer! How was the smoke profile? I had some ribs and chicken off of a Rec Tec bull using the pellet blend from Rec Tec.... red,white oak and hickory..... kinda subtle and light for my palate, great on the chicken though..... ribs could use more hickory or even cherry.... overall though great cook with very low level of effort - sold me on a pellet grill, now which one....

Never heard of this. Wouldn't that keep the paper from breathing? Do you get a softer bark like you would with foil? Inquiring minds...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Brisket is going expel water and oils anyways? And it’ll get saturated anyways?
Moisten it a little and it’s easier to work with, plus the fat cap won’t stick to the paper.
I’ve never did a side by side comparison (sprayed and unsprayed).
If you ever try it I’d be interested in the hearing the results.

Last edited:
Back