brethren being brethren story,and my version of Steve Raichlen's version of a McRib

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
Brethren Bill-Chicago posted this a month or so ago
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233691

I ended up the recipient of the medium green egg he was offering up to anyone that would use it. We both happened to be off work Friday, so I made the drive to Chicagoland to pick up my new toy. Bill couldn't have been more generous,and said if I used it once this year I would make more use of it than he had in quite some time. I let him know that if I ever pass it along it will be in a similar charitable fashion.

Well I've had it since Friday,and fired it up three times already. It's a great size for me, as I'm usually just cooking a lone ranger item. Thanks Bill, I've had a ton of fun already with your "vintage" green egg. All I did was buy a nest,and I was ready to roll.

So this morning I couldn't sleep. At about 4 am I watched an episode of project smoke where he did a version of what amounts to a McRib. For my version I used big Bob Gibson rub,and a thin tangy cheap BBQ sauce as an homage to McDonald's. Open pit is cheap,but has its place in the BBQ world.

Smoked some heavily trimmed baby backs on the egg for a couple hours.

Wrapped in the usual comp wrap style over cooking on purpose so the bones would be pullable.

Pulled from foil,and they broke in half. Sauced with the open pit, and put back on for a few minutes.

Switched out the diverter plate for direct grate,and toasted my buttered roll.

Carefully removed the bones from a half rack, and built my rib sandwich.

Thanks for sticking with my story, and thanks Bill-Chicago for my new toy.

Even though I was busy today I sure could have made time to stop by! :tsk:

That looks INCREDIBLE! Make me one the next time we BBQ and I'll make whatever you want.

That's one of the finest looking renditions of a McRib I've ever seen! What a great gift Bill gave you - you'll get many years of enjoyment from that egg, for sure.

You've already used it more than me the past couple years.

Very glad it went to a home to keep getting the attention it deserves!

Looking good Free Tony!

And I look forward to meeting you again on down the road.

Take care

I haven't had Open Pit in years! thanks for the memory.
That sammy looks FANTASTIC!

Open pit is certainly not the best sauce,but in this particular circumstance it was perfect. I think a better sauce would have muddied the McDonald's vibe I had going. Places around here serve it with sausage rolls, and it's what tastes right with them to me.

Back