THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That last one is hanging off a cutting board on both ends a bit...24 inch board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The 9.81lb brisket I got yesterday was 7.5lbs after trimming...had about 2.3lbs of fat/misc meat I trimmed off. It was probably a slightly lighter trim than I normally do, but the end yield was still higher than some of the larger (16-18lb) briskets I've gotten there recently.

The 9.81lb brisket I got yesterday was 7.5lbs after trimming...had about 2.3lbs of fat/misc meat I trimmed off. It was probably a slightly lighter trim than I normally do, but the end yield was still higher than some of the larger (16-18lb) briskets I've gotten there recently.
I think the smaller briskets have less trim loss. The fat cap and vein of fat between flat/point is larger percentage wise on the bigger ones. I still prefer the larger ones flavor wise. They are ALL excellent, IMHO.

Price still works in your favor, at least around here. Trimmed choice brisket runs $6+ per lb.

Right, i will still defend Costco prime briskets but it is buyer beware. Not all of them have such a high fat ratio, seems to be the mid range ones. Smaller briskets and larger ones dont have the same reputation

Update

Last weekend i smoked my corned flat for pastrami.

The 4 lbs 6 oz flat became 2 lbs 9 oz od pastrami. After adjusting for fat and cook loss we were at about 8 bucks and change for finished product.

I steam finished and sliced thick

Sauerkraut, rye bread and thousand island dressing toasted on the griddle

I have a 22 lbs brisket from Costco in the fridge that looks like it will yield better. Ill attempted to update when I do that one.

Update

So i got around to trimming the 22 lbs costco prime today and the results were interesting.

I trimmed heavy, if i had to guess there is a pound or so of fat left compared to last cook where i seperated and clean all fat off.

6 lbs. That's the same amount as the previous brisket that was under 15 lbs. Ill check final numbers but so far im at 16 lbs raw lbs vs 7 lbs precook weights so it looks like yields will be better on the larger one.

So i got around to trimming the 22 lbs costco prime today and the results were interesting.

I trimmed heavy, if i had to guess there is a pound or so of fat left compared to last cook where i seperated and clean all fat off.

6 lbs. That's the same amount as the previous brisket that was under 15 lbs. Ill check final numbers but so far im at 16 lbs raw lbs vs 7 lbs precook weights so it looks like yields will be better on the larger one.
This is my experience but you still have to be a bit choosy if concerned. I have had such great luck with the big ones I shop by weight now. Sometimes I will have a huge trim weight (comparatively) but not often enough for me to fret it.

Looking forward to the cook if this biggun.

Charles

I didn't weigh the fat, but from the last 15.7# Costco brisket, I had a 10" heaping full colander from trimming to about 1/4". Still had a 3/4" seam between point and flat after 11h of cooking too.
There were about a dozen in the store, and they all looked the same.

Back