Blessing, maybe...what would you do?

Go to Italy if you can.Worry about a smoker later.

Lot of great grub in Italy. We've actually been eyeing some of those 'buy a house in a village for one euro' things. I could live there a few years.

Current action shots of the Limo4EA52512-0784-486B-A5F1-9A065F7EBB99.jpeg

For some reason, this is showing a side ways shot of the Brisket.

4EFE711D-F8F3-473E-A0F6-D027C0140957.jpg

Limo goes up and down within a degree of what you set your temp at with the Fireboard. Really amazing.

You’re going to have to keep me posted on how you like it. Please!

My signature has been updated. Should get it in 3-4 weeks if everything goes well. It was great working with them and they were very helpful. Looking forward to firing it up.

My signature has been updated. Should get it in 3-4 weeks if everything goes well. It was great working with them and they were very helpful. Looking forward to firing it up.

That’s awesome! Congrats brother! Keep me posted on it!

Current action shots of the LimoView attachment 192893

For some reason, this is showing a side ways shot of the Brisket.

View attachment 192894

Limo goes up and down within a degree of what you set your temp at with the Fireboard. Really amazing.

How long of a burn time do you get and what type of charcoal are you running? Do you add wood chunks to the hopper or where the ash falls?

How long of a burn time do you get and what type of charcoal are you running? Do you add wood chunks to the hopper or where the ash falls?

Burn time really depends on how hot you run it. 225 you will get 12+ hours. At 280 more like 8-10. Easy to add more though, so on a longer cook you dump more in occasionally. Longest cook I have had was over 24 hours.

Current charcoal is Members Mark all natural hardwood briquettes which runs me $17 for 2 20lb bags at Sams. But I have used regular blue bag and B&B if I can find it occasionally. The members Mark charcoal is made by Royal Oak and it’s pretty decent for the price. I did pick up some Jealous Devil Briquettes that I need to try soon. Never have tried running lump, but a I know some do.

I have done both wood chunks in the chute, but usually just add them to the ash pot. You get good smoke flavor just adding wood chunks in the beginning few hours. I have an ash dump container that sits right below the firebox of the cooker and dump the ash with a pair of channel locks if there is much ash in it before I add the wood chunks. Then just rap once or twice on the charcoal grate and hot embers fall on the wood.

First of all Thank you for your Service. I've been to all the bases stateside you mentioned. TDY with the USAF. Only Germany overseas.

I'll throw one more into the mix for you to consider.

Backwoods Smokers. https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/

Just for your consideration.

First off, congrats on your choice!

I know you weren't asking me, but I wanted to chime in since you're getting a battle box. If you fully load up the BB fire basket you might be looking at 18-24 hours depending on the charcoal used & how well you pack it. Here are a few cooks of mine

GEFVTCtl.png

olSlnZll.png

h8uDrMYl.png

B9Dncavl.png

That last weird one was due to me trying to burn a higher ratio of wood to charcoal than I previously had attempted. Food turned out ok!

I've taken to using the maze pieces to shorting the firebox to 50- 75% full depending on the length of cook I'll need. The idea is keeping the charcoal bed deeper and shorter rather than shallow and longer. All charcoal seems to burn longer that way. A full firebox is often too much for a cook unless you plan on doing 20+ hr. More than note even with 'shorted' fireboxes I end up with reusable coals that I recycle as starter coals for my next cook. If you need to add more is easy to pull out the firebox, with tools, and add whatcha need then put it back to keep on.

You're gonna love the cooker when you get it! It's such a well built & sturdy unit. Slam latches feel buttery smooth too!

Last thing - here is my rough re-review of the BB after having owned it for a while. Need to do a more recent update since it's been a year of ownership!

Last edited:
I have the Humphrey's and the LSG Mini.
Both are great.
The LSG is better in my opinion.
With basically the same set up, the LSG is a bit more consistent top bottom and front to back.
The reverse flow of the Humphrey's gets a bit cleaner smoke but I find it doesn't draw quite as well, if that makes sense.
I do ribs on the Humphrey's as I find the air flow coming over the top of the ribs ends up with a better product.
Pretty much everything else I'm doing on the LSG.

And I still want to buy a gravity feed as I think they are really cool.

First, thank you for your service!

There are a lot of terrific cookers on your list. One brand that wasn't included was 270 Smokers. I don't have personal experience with them, just have heard very positive feedback from folks on here that use them. The idea of being able to cook low and slow or hot and fast appeals to me. The design is also intriguing.

https://270smokers.com/

Good luck!
Bruce

First of all Thank you for your Service. I've been to all the bases stateside you mentioned. TDY with the USAF. Only Germany overseas.

I'll throw one more into the mix for you to consider.

Backwoods Smokers. https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/

Just for your consideration.

Thanks brother! And for your service as well. I looked into backwoods, but got kinda turned off when I found out they are manufacturing the chubby overseas. Their other models are still US based, so I don’t know if branching out into retail sales overwhelmed their production output. I appreciate the fact that they are transparent about it though.

First, thank you for your service!

There are a lot of terrific cookers on your list. One brand that wasn't included was 270 Smokers. I don't have personal experience with them, just have heard very positive feedback from folks on here that use them. The idea of being able to cook low and slow or hot and fast appeals to me. The design is also intriguing.

https://270smokers.com/

Good luck!
Bruce

I’ll have to research them more. Interesting design!

Back