Blackstone Range Top Combo - 28" Griddle with Bonus Fryer

keeperofsecrets

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
ringo
I obtained one of these over the xmas holidays from wally world, and I thought some of you who are on the fence about getting one might be interested in my non-hydroxychloroquine-fuddled rantings.

As you may notice from the name, the griddle is 28", ample space for lots of pancakes, bacon, sausage, smashburgers, or anything smaller than a newborn calf.

DthFD3q.jpg

To the right of the griddle surface are two gas burners with cast iron grates. The burners are functional as far as they go. My only complaint is that you can't fry anything over a decent flame at the same time that you are using the entire surface of the griddle. Pick one over the other. Caveat: I have used only one of the two available burners.
The chassis of the combo has a useful space under the griddle section for storing stuff along with a compartment for an LP tank. There is a place for a trash bag and a bar that will hold a roll of paper towels as well.

ST598GE.jpg

Overall, I like the combo. It is a good division between burners and a griddle, although there is limited space for a pan on the burner side - so no cowboy wok or large comal will fit.

Here is the section where I make some gripes, so if you are affiliated with Blackstone, either pay attention or skip this section.

The combo comes out of the box with a 6" deep half-size hotel pan/steam table pan to use as a fryer. I found it impossible to remove the sticker from the side of the pan, resulting in a very unattractive mess.

9M9QDED.jpg

You also get the cheapest deep fry thermometer ever made. Further, the contraption used to secure the thermometer to the pan suffers from all sorts of engineering difficulties, making it almost impossible to secure the thermometer or use the griddle at all without the thermometer clattering to the ground.

iBxJpfZ.jpg

jq6Oc9y.jpg

There is also an unacceptably large amount of heat that escapes in the gap between the griddle and the fryer, which is compounded when operating both at once.

Ultimately, I ditched the hotel pan, the thermometer, and the pan rack that was designed to give you false comfort that the pan would stay in place over the burner. Instead, I fry on the side burner using my 12" Lodge Dutch Oven. It's legs fit nicely with the grate and its weight provides assurance that the pan won't tip over.

J3w3KhM.jpg

I can't use the provided fry basket, but my nickel-plated skimmer works nicely.

I've been debating a Blackstone for a while. I've been thinking the 36", but it would be really nice to have a couple of side burners.

I have had a different experience. I’ve used the fryer almost a dozen times. I have zero complaints. It is fantastic, stable, and works as advertised. The thermometer actually clips to the basket which is a little awkward but works ok.

Some reviews complain about about the side burner not getting hot enough. I actually feel like I wish the low was lower on the side burner. (I will admit that I have never used the side burner and griddle at the same time)

The whole deal: griddle with lid, side burners, fryer, etc is absolutely fantastic.

+1 :thumb:

I've successfully made Philly Cheesesteaks on the griddle while using the fryer for French Fries. I also have not had any issues with the fryer assembly, thermometer, or the holder. Everything is working as it should. I was actually impressed with the engineering and the way the fryer holder fits in and almost locks into place to prevent accidentally knocking over a hot fryer full of grease. Perhaps the 2016 unit and the 2020 units are different.

Anybody that's on the fence about a griddle just buy 1, but make sure it has a lid, if not you will forget to cover it when it cools off and you will fight rust, had mine for 3 years or so, been a battle, finally built a lid for it, should've one that years ago lol, love the deep fryer also, keep all the mess out doors.

Back